King’s Ely hockey girls selected for England Saxon Tigers
- Credit: Archant
Two senior girls at King’s Ely have been selected for the South and East of England Saxon Tigers Squad for the Futures Cup.
Mikayla Glover and Rebecca Daniel, both 15, attended two days of regional trials at the National Hockey centre where they played for Bury Tigers against teams from Tonbridge and Northwood.
Having performed well, they have been included in the squad of 20 to represent the region in the U16 age group.
The Futures Cup involves four days of training and competition between the Saxon Tigers, Pennine Pumas, Wessex Leopards and Mercian Lynx from England, along with the Caledonian Cougars from Scotland and Celtic Jaguars from Wales.
Ben Edmondson, director of sport at King’s Ely, said: “This is an unbelievable achievement and to get two girls through is fantastic for the school.
You may also want to watch:
“In terms of hockey development this has moved the girls into Tier 2 which is one below national age group squads. Amazing effort.”
The Futures Cup takes place at St Albans from today (26) to Saturday (29).
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 5 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 6 City short-listed to house Museum of Brexit
- 7 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 8 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 9 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 10 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station