Young musicians raise £500 for charity while celebrating Beethoven’s 250th birthday
Musicians at King’s Ely raised more than £500 for aid charity Tearfund while celebrating German composer Ludwig van Beethoven’s 250th birthday.
Students from Year 2 to 13 as well as several members of staff took part in the Beethoven-athon, which saw more than 50 pieces performed.
Performances were held at King’s Ely Acremont, King’s Ely Junior and in the Gibson Recital Hall at King’s Ely Senior.
Three students, Christian-Peter Hiemstra, Samuel Trueman and Eleanor MacGillivray performed piano sonatas and King’s Ely Senior string students performed movements from all ten of Beethoven’s violin sonatas.
Other highlights included James Schoenberg’s version of the last movement of the ‘Moonlight Sonata’ played on the electric guitar, and the Year 13 Music A Level class’ rendition of ‘A Fifth of Beethoven’ from ‘Saturday Night Fever’.
The youngest student who took part was Year 2 pupil, Asher Randall, who played ‘Ode to Joy’ on the piano. This was live streamed to all classrooms at King’s Ely Acremont.
The event, which was organised by director of music Neil Porter-Thaw and his team, was held in aid of Christian aid charity Tearfund, which helps the poorest in society, working in more than 50 countries.
- 1 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 2 New bid for housing thwarted by Great Crested Newts
- 3 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 4 Back garden log cabin needs permission says council
- 5 ‘It’s been very rewarding’ - Letizia amazed by support for La Strega
- 6 Axing BBC TV news from Cambridge 'a backward step' says MP
- 7 Daughter pays tribute to model engineer who 'tried his hand at anything'
- 8 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 9 Village barn struck by arsonists in 4am blaze
- 10 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
The orchestra is now preparing movements of Beethoven’s 5th, 7th and 9th symphonies which they will perform in Ely Cathedral before his birthday in December.
King’s Ely’s Jazz Band is also working on ‘A Fifth of Beethoven’, arranged by Walter Murphy.
To donate, visit: www.justgiving.com/fundraising/KingsElyBeethovenathon