Kettle sparks house fire in Ely
- Credit: Archant
A HOUSE in Ely was badly damaged in a fire started by a kettle on Tuesday night.
Firefighters from Ely and Littleport were called to a house in Allen Road at about 9pm.
A man had been cooking on the hob in the kitchen when a kettle which was close to the hob caught alight.
The fire spread quickly to the extractor fan, then to the extractor hose and finally to the joists between the ceiling of the kitchen and the floorboards of the room above.
The man left the house immediately and dialled 999.
You may also want to watch:
Firefighters arrived and entered the home wearing breathing apparatus. They used two hose reels to extinguish the main fire and then cut through the ceiling to extinguish the fire in the joists.
Crews returned to their fire stations by 11.30pm.
- 1 Tributes paid to school matron who died from Covid-19
- 2 People power brings about changes to £800,000 roundabout scheme
- 3 Student defies challenges of pandemic to achieve first class degree
- 4 Retired GP's death 'avoidable' if cause of severe chest pain was 'more thoroughly investigated'
- 5 Alcohol shoplifter threatened security staff with large blade
- 6 Shop worker 'abused and reduced to tears' after denying couple entry due to Covid-19 restrictions
- 7 The Chase contestant from Cambs labelled ‘most stunning’ in show’s history
- 8 London man jailed for running drugs line between Cambs and capital
- 9 Health scare inspired slimmer’s incredible 10 stone weight loss
- 10 Driver peers out of Range Rover while trying to cross flooded Welney Wash
Karl Bowden, station commander for Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service said: “This was quite a complicated incident as the fire had travelled to the joists between the ground and the first floor. Therefore, a significant amount of cutting away was required to ensure that we had extinguished all of the fire and that there were no hotspots remaining.
“We would advise people to keep flammable items well away from the hob area.”