JUSTICE FOR JAMIE: ‘The day our world was destroyed’ - family speak out on campaign website

PUBLISHED: 11:51 24 October 2012 | UPDATED: 16:40 24 October 2012

Justice for Jamie.

Justice for Jamie.


THE family of Wisbech crash victim Jamie Butcher has relived the day their “world was destroyed” on a website launched as part of the campaign for justice.

Jamie’s phone stolen as he lay dead in road

THE mobile phone of Jamie Butcher was stolen from beside him as he lay dead in the road, his family has revealed.

Writing on the Justice for Jamie campaign website, the Butcher family say that after the crash they asked police where the 22-year-old’s phone was.

“The answer was that while Jamie lay dead on the road somebody had decided to steal his phone,” they recall.

“Such heartache. You never saw Jamie without his phone, it was almost a part of him. We desperately wanted, even needed it back.

“Within days police had recovered his phone and returned it to us. You wont be able to understand how a phone could bring such comfort to us, but it did.”

Mother Tina, sister Hollie and stepfather Steve Green say their lives were torn apart when 22-year-old Jamie was mown down and killed on a pedestrian crossing in Churchill Road, Wisbech, in February last year.

Driver Michael Moore, of Murrow Lane, Parson Drove, was doing almost twice the speed limit and had run a red light. He hit Jamie with such force that his body was found 44 metres from the crossing.

Moore was jailed for just 43 months in April.

Since that sentence, the Butcher family have been joined by The Wisbech Standard and MP Steve Barclay to call for tougher punishments in death by dangerous driving cases.

Mr Barclay has vowed to raise the issue in the House of Commons, an e-petition is set to launch next week and campaign website www.justiceforjamie.co.uk is now up and running.

On the website, Jamie’s family describe how they became worried when he failed to return from a trip into the town centre to withdraw some money.

Mr Green went looking for him but moments later a police car pulled up outside their home.

“It was at this moment that our hearts sank,” the family recall.

“Steve pleaded with the policeman ‘tell me how bad it is’ and the policeman said ‘go inside and we will come and talk to you’.

“It was in the kitchen of the family home that the police asked ‘did Jamie have a tattoo on his chest?’

“With Jamie’s identity confirmed it was their duty to tell the loving parents that there had been a collision and there had been a fatality.”

Tina had to phone her daughter Hollie, who was at her boyfriend’s house, to tell her that her brother was dead.

“The only sound that came back from the phone was a scream.

“The news had been delivered, the loving family destroyed because of the selfish reckless actions of one man.”

In the days that followed, Mr Green had to identify Jamie’s body and the family began to plan his funeral.

“We couldn’t believe it,” they recall. “None of us ate for days.

“Somebody called out a doctor to us. He prescribed some pills but nothing could change the fact Jamie was gone.

“Family and friends tried to comfort us but it was, and still is, a pain that just can’t be cured.”

There were also practical issues to deal with.

“Before the funeral, phone calls had to be made.

“A phone call to Manchester University. ‘Jamie’s dead’. A phone call to his employer. ‘Jamie’s dead’. A phone call to his bank. ‘Jamie’s dead’. A call to end his phone contract. ‘Jamie’s dead’.

“But still we couldn’t believe. Jamie’s dead.”

A week later, after a packed crematorium had said their final goodbyes to Jamie, the family received a phone call from an officer to update them on the police investigation.

Mr Green said: “He told us in words I will never forget - ‘I can tell you now, Jamie did nothing wrong.’”

● SUPPORT the campaign by liking the Justice for Jamie Facebook page, following @justiceforjamie on Twitter or visiting www.justiceforjamie.co.uk


More news stories

Yesterday, 15:20

Greater Anglia train driver Jason Brooks who leapt into action to perform CPR on a passenger who had collapsed at Ely station has won recognition at a national awards ceremony.

Yesterday, 13:15

Two canons of Ely Cathedral are to sleep out to raise money for homeless charities.

Yesterday, 12:15

MP Lucy Frazer and police and crime commissioner Jason Ablewhite headed a panel to update villagers on efforts to tackle crime locally that had included a raid on a travellers’ site.

Yesterday, 14:36

Government funds coming into Cambridgeshire will provide a £100 million children’s hospital on the Addenbrooke’s Hospital site in Cambridge and £25 million to expand Hinchingbrooke Hospital, Huntingdon.

Most read stories

Digital Edition

Read the Ely Standard e-edition E-edition

Show Job Lists

Newsletter Sign Up

Ely Standard weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy