Joy for family as dog who fled from three-car crash is found safe and well

A TIBETAN terrier who went missing after fleeing the scene of a three-car collision near Stretham on Saturday has now been found thanks to an online campaign.

Digger was found “stinky and matted” in the AmeyCespa recycling plant near Waterbeach by a 10-year-old boy and his family after a two-day stint in the wild.

Owner Mark Hardy, form Witchford, who said Digger’s page had received more than 7,000 hits in 48 hours, said he was “delighted” to have the dog back.

Mr Hardy, who was driving the Volkswagen Golf which was written off following the collision on the A10 at the Lazy Otter near Stretham, said he and wife Karyn McNeil acquired the puppy in April as a playmate for their two-year-old son Alby, who was distraught when the dog went missing.

Curtailing the family’s trip to Milton Country Park that morning, the impact of the collision with a driving school Vauxhall Corsa and a lorry saw driver Mr Hardy trapped inside the car and during his attempt to extricate himself via the passenger door, Digger fled the scene.

Mr Hardy, 38, last saw Digger running alongside the A10 towards Cambridge and witnesses last reported a sighting of him near the BP garage in Landbeach.

He said he received an overwhelming amount of support in the hunt for Digger.

Most Read

“We had people - people who we have never met - coming out looking for him. We had a couple of reports from people who had seen him up by the recycling plant so I asked if I could put his bed in the bike shelter there as he might sniff it out,” he said.

“I went home to get his bed and while I was home a group of people who had seen him managed to fan out and find him.

“He is a bit stinky, matted, hungry and thirsty, but he’s ok. We’ve booked him in for a little grooming session.

“Alby was jumping around when we told him he was coming back.”

It was Suzanne Battey who, sat round her kitchen table following the hunt for Digger, had a gut feeling she knew she could find the dog and set off from her home in Littleport.

“I just packed up our dog, the kids, and some treats and set off to the recyling plant,” she said.

“Our dog Lilly has quite a strong nose and he just pulled my daughter round a corner then we crawled along the floor and my son Harry spotted him.

“We waited for Mark to get there and there was quite an emotional reunion. It was lovely.”