Join in the orchestra
MUSICIANS are invited to play in a full-scale symphony orchestra in Ely on Sunday. Ely Sinfonia is inviting local players to join it to play Mendelssohn s Violin Concerto from scratch, under the direction of celebrated local violinist Stephen Bingham. The
MUSICIANS are invited to play in a full-scale symphony orchestra in Ely on Sunday.
Ely Sinfonia is inviting local players to join it to play Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto from scratch, under the direction of celebrated local violinist Stephen Bingham.
The workshop is aimed at musicians of all ages who have reached Grade V standard or above.
It will provide young players with the chance of working in an orchestra alongside Ely Sinfonia's experienced musicians, many of which are teachers.
You may also want to watch:
Participants will also learn Mozart's enigmatic and unsettling 40th Symphony.
Patricia Mathieson, from Ely Sinfonia, said: "These two pieces are both a delight and a challenge to players of all standards and should provide workshop participants with an excellent introduction or re-introduction to orchestral playing."
- 1 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 4 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 5 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 6 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 7 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 8 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 9 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'
- 10 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
The workshop will take place at the Hayward Theatre, King's School, The Gallery, Ely, from 10am-5pm, and will cost £10 per player.
It will start with an introductory rehearsal. There will then be a programme of rehearsals, interspersed with tea and lunch breaks, finishing at 4pm. Families and friends will have the chance to judge the progress made during the day at a short play-through at 4.15pm.
INFO: Helen Louise Baker on 01638 780275 or, via e mail, firstname.lastname@example.org
The day will also be a precursor to Ely Sinfonia's next major concert to be held in Ely Cathedral on October 20.
Further information on both the workshop and the concert can be found at www.elysinfonia.org.uk and tickets for the concert, ranging from £5 to £14, are available by calling 01353 660349.
Pic cap: Pictured from left to right are Ely Sinfonia members Jean Swift, Bryan Austin and Helen Louise Baker.