Join in the orchestra
MUSICIANS are invited to play in a full-scale symphony orchestra in Ely on Sunday. Ely Sinfonia is inviting local players to join it to play Mendelssohn s Violin Concerto from scratch, under the direction of celebrated local violinist Stephen Bingham. The
MUSICIANS are invited to play in a full-scale symphony orchestra in Ely on Sunday.
Ely Sinfonia is inviting local players to join it to play Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto from scratch, under the direction of celebrated local violinist Stephen Bingham.
The workshop is aimed at musicians of all ages who have reached Grade V standard or above.
It will provide young players with the chance of working in an orchestra alongside Ely Sinfonia's experienced musicians, many of which are teachers.
Participants will also learn Mozart's enigmatic and unsettling 40th Symphony.
Patricia Mathieson, from Ely Sinfonia, said: "These two pieces are both a delight and a challenge to players of all standards and should provide workshop participants with an excellent introduction or re-introduction to orchestral playing."
- 1 Take a look inside £600,000 period home with 'outstanding charm'
- 2 Fenland man repeatedly raped woman for 20 years
- 3 Meet the boat hire firm aiming to become perfect 'stress-free' tonic
- 4 Arson arrest after Wisbech blaze
- 5 Santas learn how to put the Ho Ho Ho into Christmas
- 6 Cambridge 'knife-wielder' arrested
- 7 New deadline for £6m crematorium decision
- 8 £4.8m loan to transform office block into flats repaid
- 9 £1,350 a day (plus VAT) for new chief executive at combined authority
- 10 Sanctuary Housing criticised over empty homes in Ely
The workshop will take place at the Hayward Theatre, King's School, The Gallery, Ely, from 10am-5pm, and will cost £10 per player.
It will start with an introductory rehearsal. There will then be a programme of rehearsals, interspersed with tea and lunch breaks, finishing at 4pm. Families and friends will have the chance to judge the progress made during the day at a short play-through at 4.15pm.
INFO: Helen Louise Baker on 01638 780275 or, via e mail, email@example.com
The day will also be a precursor to Ely Sinfonia's next major concert to be held in Ely Cathedral on October 20.
Further information on both the workshop and the concert can be found at www.elysinfonia.org.uk and tickets for the concert, ranging from £5 to £14, are available by calling 01353 660349.
Pic cap: Pictured from left to right are Ely Sinfonia members Jean Swift, Bryan Austin and Helen Louise Baker.