John’s chat on all things optical entertains the Ely Inner Wheel Club at its January meeting
- Credit: Archant
All things optical were on the agenda at the most recent meeting of the Ely Inner Wheel Club.
The local club welcomed speaker and Rotarian John Wade, who brought along various optical instruments from the early days of his family’s firm, J&J Wade Opticians.
John told members how he has been on the firm’s payroll since 1965 when he was part-time and that every day presented a new challenge.
He began fitting contact lenses in the 1970s during his work as an optometrist, and is still involved in the diagnosis of diabetes, high blood pressure, cataracts and other conditions.
He then answered questions before the club’s president, Mary Rone, accepted a cheque for her chosen charity, the Arthur Rank Hospice.
You may also want to watch:
The club’s next meeting will take place on Wednesday 22 February and will be its 67th charter night dinner.
For more information, 01353 667944.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 3 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 4 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 5 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 6 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 7 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 8 Teen rape case prompts city market safety review
- 9 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 10 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache