Mepal man returns from Boston after finishing Abbotts Six World Major Marathon in less than 10 years
- Credit: FAMILY / SUPPLIED
A man from Mepal has completed what only a handful of people in the UK have successfully finished, the Abbots Six World Major Marathon.
John Angier has self-funded trips to New York, Chicago, Berlin, Tokyo, London and Boston to complete the gruelling task across nine years.
The world major marathon can be completed in any order in any given time. Only a few thousand hold the title worldwide.
The former London paramedic got into running through his work at the city’s ambulance service who each year enter the London Marathon.
After running the same race three times, the father-of-two decided he wanted a new challenge, beginning his world major marathon attempt.
You may also want to watch:
The 43-year-old has spent thousands of pounds over nine years getting to each of the city venues – all while bringing up his two twin children.
He said: “It all feels really surreal, out of all of my races I have to say that Boston was the toughest. It was really hot, even though we started in a thunderstorm.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 3 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 4 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 5 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 6 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 7 80 ‘pieces of graffiti’ removed by council in just six months
- 8 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 9 Lets get Cambridgeshire back on the buses says mayor
- 10 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
“To finish the world major is just a dream, crossing the line was quite a moment. I can’t thank my family and friends enough.”
To prepare, John, a former member of the Ely Runners club, was going out each night with his running partner after he put his children to bed.
Just over 550 people have completed the Abbotts Six World Major Marathon in the UK and John doesn’t know of any others in Cambridgeshire.
Zoe Angier, his fiancé, said: “I remember when he [John] thought he was close to finishing the challenge when he was in Chicago, that was when they added Tokyo.
“The whole family are all really proud of him, I accompanied him to a few of his races when and where I could.”
The small Mepal family are now celebrating at home and John is catching up on some well-earned rest after his flight home from Boston.
John added: “I got into the actual races through raising money for local charities, however I had to pay for all my travel and expenses.
“I think I have spent between 9,000 and 10,000 pounds over the nine years I have been taking part in the challenge.
“Thank you to Zoe and to all my friends and family who have supported my journey.”