John and Audrey Parsler agree ‘tolerance’ is the key to a successful marriage as the Ely couple celebrate their 60th wedding anniversary
- Credit: Archant
“Tolerance” is the secret to a long and happy marriage according to Ely couple John and Audrey Parsler who are celebrating their 60th wedding anniversary on Thursday (23).
The couple who live in St John’s Road were married at St Francis’ Church, Petts Wood in Kent on March 23 1957 after a courtship which began as teenagers.
They met at a youth club in Petts Wood and waited to marry until John had completed his service with the Royal Navy as a member of the Special Boat Squad.
He served for 12 years and Audrey said she did not want to get married while he was in the navy.
After leaving the service John joined a building firm and trained as a surveyor, a job he did until his retirement at the age of 59. He then worked for the local probation service until he was able to claim his pension.
You may also want to watch:
Audrey worked initially for Zurich Insurance before joining Lloyds Bank where she worked until having the couple’s first daughter Sharon (Charter) in 1962. The couple also have a second daughter Elaine (Starland).
They will be celebrating their anniversary with a family party where they will be joined by both Sharon, of Bluntisham and Elaine of East Dereham and their four grandsons.
- 1 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 2 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 3 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
- 4 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 5 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 6 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 7 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 8 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 9 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 10 Pubs team up to raise £3,500 for British Heart Foundation
John and Audrey, who moved to Ely 21 years ago, are both long-time members of the Swallowtails, a club which meets weekly at Wicken Village Hall.
John is also a member of the Korean Veterans Association and the Royal Naval Association. He served with the navy in Korea.
The couple both agreed the secret to a long and happy marriage was “tolerance”.
“That’s very important,” said Audrey, while John added: “It is also important to have a ‘barney’ and then forget, you mustn’t dwell on an argument.”