John and Audrey Parsler agree ‘tolerance’ is the key to a successful marriage as the Ely couple celebrate their 60th wedding anniversary
- Credit: Archant
“Tolerance” is the secret to a long and happy marriage according to Ely couple John and Audrey Parsler who are celebrating their 60th wedding anniversary on Thursday (23).
The couple who live in St John’s Road were married at St Francis’ Church, Petts Wood in Kent on March 23 1957 after a courtship which began as teenagers.
They met at a youth club in Petts Wood and waited to marry until John had completed his service with the Royal Navy as a member of the Special Boat Squad.
He served for 12 years and Audrey said she did not want to get married while he was in the navy.
After leaving the service John joined a building firm and trained as a surveyor, a job he did until his retirement at the age of 59. He then worked for the local probation service until he was able to claim his pension.
Audrey worked initially for Zurich Insurance before joining Lloyds Bank where she worked until having the couple’s first daughter Sharon (Charter) in 1962. The couple also have a second daughter Elaine (Starland).
They will be celebrating their anniversary with a family party where they will be joined by both Sharon, of Bluntisham and Elaine of East Dereham and their four grandsons.
- 1 Back garden log cabin needs permission says council
- 2 Preschool 'special in people's hearts' to close after more than 30 years
- 3 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 4 Daughter pays tribute to model engineer who 'tried his hand at anything'
- 5 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 6 BMX star, 11, hopes world debut can lead to Olympics dream
- 7 New bid for housing thwarted by Great Crested Newts
- 8 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 9 ‘It’s been very rewarding’ - Letizia amazed by support for La Strega
- 10 Platinum Jubilee: The Queen's visits to Cambridgeshire in pictures
John and Audrey, who moved to Ely 21 years ago, are both long-time members of the Swallowtails, a club which meets weekly at Wicken Village Hall.
John is also a member of the Korean Veterans Association and the Royal Naval Association. He served with the navy in Korea.
The couple both agreed the secret to a long and happy marriage was “tolerance”.
“That’s very important,” said Audrey, while John added: “It is also important to have a ‘barney’ and then forget, you mustn’t dwell on an argument.”