Friends raise awareness and money for charity with a two day walk for their work colleague from Witchford
- Credit: Archant
A team of work friends walked 37 miles to raise awareness and funds for bladder cancer for a colleague who was diagnosed earlier this year.
Friends of Jo Peacock raised £4,140 for charity by stepping out from King’s Lynn to an overnight stop at Denver, then on to Witchford where they ended their walk at the village music festival.
Jo, who was diagnosed five months ago, said: “Work has been so supportive from the minute I was diagnosed. It is incredible seeing them all support me by doing this.
“I made it my mission to raise awareness as it is a little known condition and the charity itself is quiet small.
“It is important that people know the signs.
“I noticed a bit of blood in my urine and went to the doctors and was fast tracked to hospital where it was diagnosed soon after.
“I’ve had eight weeks of chemotherapy and need more tests and a big operation, but I’m hoping to get back to work next year.
- 1 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 2 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 3 Village barn struck by arsonists in 4am blaze
- 4 Littleport 'hit and run' on Victoria Street
- 5 ‘It’s been very rewarding’ - Letizia amazed by support for La Strega
- 6 Florist 'busier than ever' hoping to build from lockdown success
- 7 Pedestrian struck on Ely Road in Littleport
- 8 Arsonist firebombed GP surgery after doctors refused to give him heroin
- 9 New bid for housing thwarted by Great Crested Newts
- 10 Council bans use of agricultural land to extend garden
“Friends have offered to do more fund raising so hopefully there will be other events coming up.”
Jo and her friends work at Anglia Revenues Partnership at Thetford.
As part of fund raising three people braved the shave to raise £668 for Fight Bladder Cancer. This was separate to the sponsored walk.
They were Shelley and Lee Davies (Shelley runs Witchford post office) and Barbara Martin, chef at the village inn.