Tributes to a founder member of Ely Sailing Club who died in a crash at Stuntney
- Credit: Archant
Tributes have been paid to a founder member of Ely Sailing Club who died in a crash on the A142 at Stuntney.
Jill Sallis, 77, was driving a red Hyundai i20 which was involved in a collision with two other vehicles on Monday (19).
The Ely Sailing Club website says: “The club has lost somebody very special and our condolences go out to friends and family at this difficult time.
“Jill was a very special person at Ely Sailing Club. As a founding member, her affiliation with the sailing club spans several decades over which she has provided the club with unrivalled dedication, in terms of sailing, committee positions, and as an active member.
“Her friendly open approach welcomed many members to the club over the years.
“Completing two stints as club Commodore, 25 years as membership secretary, as well as her recent role as model fleet captain, her commitment was exemplary.
“Anybody who had the pleasure to know Jill understood she was a kind and warm person with a genuine interest in people and their families. “Despite her ill health, she remained a frequent visitor at the club. We hope she enjoyed the laying up supper held on Saturday and was able to spend valuable time with other club members.
- 1 E-scooter crackdown sees crimes drop by third across county
- 2 Police take a tough stance as begging crackdown continues
- 3 REVEALED: The 'gang of five' who want Dr Nik Johnson gone
- 4 Latino 'feeling' comes together for South American venue on launch night
- 5 ‘Wonderful’ Thanksgiving Evensong as Archdeacon steps down from role after 17 years
- 6 Caught on camera the moment an otter came up for dinner
- 7 Tomorrow's lunar eclipse: How and when to see it
- 8 Combined Authority in freefall: how on earth did we get to this?
- 9 Free trips on classic coaches at Busfest 2022
- 10 Ely by-election after death of 'marvellous' parish councillor
“The number of people this news will touch is a testament to Jill’s approachable and kind-hearted spirit.
The driver of a silver Vauxhall Astra, a woman in her 50s, was taken to Addenbrooke’s Hospital with serious, but not life threatening injuries.
A man driving a Toyota Hilux was not injured.
Police are keen to speak to anyone who may have seen any of the vehicles involved just prior to the collision.
• Anyone with information is asked to call 101 quoting incident 300 of November 19. Alternatively report online at www.cambs.police.uk/report.