Jessica joins Ely Cathedral as residentiary canon
- Credit: Archant
A new residentiary canon, Dr Jessica Martin, has been appointed at Ely Cathedral.
Already an honorary canon of the cathedral, she is well known within the diocese as the bishop’s advisor in women’s ministry as well as priest-in-charge of Duxford, Hinxton and Ickleton parish where she has experience within schools.
Her responsibility will be for outreach and education as well as spending time working within the diocesan ministry team supporting the work of initial ministerial education.
Before ordination Jessica was a fellow and college lecturer in English literature at Trinity College, Cambridge.
She is an accomplished amateur musician (oboe, piano and singing) and is married to Francis Spufford, a literary award winning writer and senior lecturer at Goldsmith’s College, London.
You may also want to watch:
Mark Bonney, dean of Ely, said: “I am very excited that Jessica will be joining us later in the year.
“She comes with strong pastoral and academic credentials and is a hugely respected priest in the diocese.”
- 1 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 4 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 5 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 6 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 7 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 8 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 9 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'
- 10 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
Francis’ recent book, Unapologetic, has been shortlisted for the Michael Ramsey prize. Francis was recently elected as a lay member of the General Synod for the Ely dioceses. They have two daughters; Theodora (10), will be moving with them to Ely.
Jessica is the second female residentiary canon to be appointed to Ely, following canon Vicky Johnson.
On June 20 Jessica will give a lecture as part of the Cathedral’s summer series, Visions of a Future Church.
She will be formally installed by the bishop of Ely at Evensong on September 10.