Jessica joins Ely Cathedral as residentiary canon
- Credit: Archant
A new residentiary canon, Dr Jessica Martin, has been appointed at Ely Cathedral.
Already an honorary canon of the cathedral, she is well known within the diocese as the bishop’s advisor in women’s ministry as well as priest-in-charge of Duxford, Hinxton and Ickleton parish where she has experience within schools.
Her responsibility will be for outreach and education as well as spending time working within the diocesan ministry team supporting the work of initial ministerial education.
Before ordination Jessica was a fellow and college lecturer in English literature at Trinity College, Cambridge.
She is an accomplished amateur musician (oboe, piano and singing) and is married to Francis Spufford, a literary award winning writer and senior lecturer at Goldsmith’s College, London.
Mark Bonney, dean of Ely, said: “I am very excited that Jessica will be joining us later in the year.
“She comes with strong pastoral and academic credentials and is a hugely respected priest in the diocese.”
- 1 Have your say on proposed commercial development in Ely
- 2 Casualty treated for smoke inhalation following house fire
- 3 IN PICTURES: Wills and Kate visit Cambridgeshire's first County Day
- 4 Duke and Duchess of Cambridge arrive in Newmarket for Cambs County Day
- 5 Threat to cancel or 'indefinitely pause' £450m Ely rail upgrade
- 6 Police alert fire service to motor home engulfed in flames
- 7 Vehicle fire causes heavy traffic on A14
- 8 Headteacher ‘extremely proud’ after school receives games mark award
- 9 Site cleared after 'grenade' prompts alarm
- 10 County Day hopes to shine light on young farmers of Cambridgeshire
Francis’ recent book, Unapologetic, has been shortlisted for the Michael Ramsey prize. Francis was recently elected as a lay member of the General Synod for the Ely dioceses. They have two daughters; Theodora (10), will be moving with them to Ely.
Jessica is the second female residentiary canon to be appointed to Ely, following canon Vicky Johnson.
On June 20 Jessica will give a lecture as part of the Cathedral’s summer series, Visions of a Future Church.
She will be formally installed by the bishop of Ely at Evensong on September 10.