Jessica joins Ely Cathedral as residentiary canon
- Credit: Archant
A new residentiary canon, Dr Jessica Martin, has been appointed at Ely Cathedral.
Already an honorary canon of the cathedral, she is well known within the diocese as the bishop’s advisor in women’s ministry as well as priest-in-charge of Duxford, Hinxton and Ickleton parish where she has experience within schools.
Her responsibility will be for outreach and education as well as spending time working within the diocesan ministry team supporting the work of initial ministerial education.
Before ordination Jessica was a fellow and college lecturer in English literature at Trinity College, Cambridge.
She is an accomplished amateur musician (oboe, piano and singing) and is married to Francis Spufford, a literary award winning writer and senior lecturer at Goldsmith’s College, London.
Mark Bonney, dean of Ely, said: “I am very excited that Jessica will be joining us later in the year.
“She comes with strong pastoral and academic credentials and is a hugely respected priest in the diocese.”
- 1 'He saved my life' - Karolina thanks optician after spotting unknown brain tumour
- 2 Baby murder trial hears mother joked tot self-harmed
- 3 Two suffer serious injuries after A10 crash
- 4 Knife attack man hid over £3,500 of drugs at mum's home
- 5 Jail for paedophile who photographed abuse
- 6 Jail for fraudulent accountant who tried to steal £200k of employer’s money
- 7 Seven places where £4.9m road maintenance has been approved
- 8 Farmer wins appeal to convert derelict barn into a house
- 9 Drug dealer jailed after being found with heroin and crack cocaine
- 10 Man caught red-handed after series of drug raids
Francis’ recent book, Unapologetic, has been shortlisted for the Michael Ramsey prize. Francis was recently elected as a lay member of the General Synod for the Ely dioceses. They have two daughters; Theodora (10), will be moving with them to Ely.
Jessica is the second female residentiary canon to be appointed to Ely, following canon Vicky Johnson.
On June 20 Jessica will give a lecture as part of the Cathedral’s summer series, Visions of a Future Church.
She will be formally installed by the bishop of Ely at Evensong on September 10.