JAILED: Prolific East Cambs shoplifter who breached ASBO banning him from numerous Ely shops
- Credit: Archant
A PROLIFIC shoplifter who breached the terms of an anti-social behaviour order banning him from a number of shops in Ely has been jailed.
Michael King, 33, of Duck Lane, Haddenham, was made the subject of a two-year anti-social behaviour order back in January in a bid to stop his offending.
Magistrates in Cambridge heard that King had a string of convictions dating back to 2000.
Since 2011, he has stolen from 10 different shops in Ely, targeting some businesses repeatedly. In 2012 alone he racked up 16 convictions.
The order imposed on King prohibited him from entering the following shops where he has committed multiple thefts:
• Boots Chemist, Market Street
• Premier Convenience, High Street
- 1 East Cambs Council bins green waste collections for seven weeks
- 2 Stolen caravans discovered on village site to relief of owners
- 3 OPINION: Soham Station fiasco about to come to a conclusion, or is it?
- 4 Former army major sentenced after pillion rider dies in motorcycle crash
- 5 A10 dualling facing new challenges
- 6 Children among suspected hare coursers stopped in the Fens
- 7 Pedestrian killed crossing road
- 8 Branch president left pleasantly surprised thanks to freemasons
- 9 1,800 enjoy free Christmas day out at Ely’s ‘hidden gem’
- 10 'White van man' crashes into rail bridge
• Waitrose, The Cloisters
• Sainsbury’s, Lisle Lane
• BP Garage associated shop and forecourt, Witchford Road
This week, however, King was back before the courts for breaching his Asbo. He pleaded guilty and was sentenced to a total of 10 weeks in prison.
Ely Sgt Will Davis, said: “King is a frequent offender and well known to local officers.
“All help and support has and is being offered to prevent his offending, by police and other agencies, but, as yet, to no avail.
“Despite obvious frustrations with his continued offending, there is some sense of relief that there will be fewer victims in East Cambs knowing that he is in prison.”