Jail for Hungarian lorry driver who killed Littleport motorcyclist David Pokora
- Credit: Archant
A Hungarian lorry driver who killed Littleport motorcyclist David Pokora when he mistakenly drove on the wrong side of the road has been jailed.
Istvan Becsei, 57, from Retszilas, Hungary, pulled out of a farm onto Ely Road, Littleport, on the afternoon of Saturday, June 3, but immediately drove on the right hand side of the single-carriageway road.
Mr Pokora, 60, of Highfield Drive, Littleport, was riding his motorbike in the opposite direction, on the correct side of the road, and collided head-on with the lorry on a bend just south of the junction with Brickmakers Way.
Mr Pokora died at the scene. Becsei was arrested and later pleaded guilty to causing death by dangerous driving.
Yesterday (July 3), he was jailed for 32 months at Cambridge Crown Court, disqualified from driving for 31 months and ordered to sit an extended re-test.
You may also want to watch:
PC James Thorne said: “This tragic collision was a result of Becsei not paying proper attention to his driving for a relatively long period of time.
“Losing concentration while driving has the potential to prove fatal and maintaining that due care and attention is particularly important when you’re driving on a side of the road you’re not used to.”
- 1 Spotted in Ely founder Mark Cooney dies
- 2 Lidl lists Cambridgeshire locations for ‘potential store development’
- 3 'Most significant' Fens archive footage in years
- 4 Recycling firm goes bust ahead of £55,000 court fines and costs
- 5 Man hails social media after finding stolen dumper in under 48 hours
- 6 Pool memories and 60s celebrities - a nostalgic step back in time
- 7 Letter: Who's been pinching my dog biscuits?
- 8 Young writer's 'wonderful' poem wins competition
- 9 Grandmother crochets 'worry worms' for children to find
- 10 Woman left 'terrified' after spitting assault