Its up, not quite running yet, but Welney celebrates ‘arrival’ of new community hall and pavilion
- Credit: Archant
Villagers got their first glimpse of their community hall and replacement pavilion as contractors moved into the playing field at Welney.
MRC (Barroway Drove) has built the modular building and began installation last Thursday.
Funding has been made possible thanks to support from Wren, Sport England Inspired Facilities Scheme and Marshall’s charity.
Local fund raising and donations from in and around the village over the past five years has helped towards the cost.
The parish council says it “photo documenting the arrival of this major building for the village, and the actual craning in of the sectional building will be a key moment”.
A spokesman said: “Solar panels will be installed on the roof of the building towards the middle/end of April
“Once the building is on site, it will be completed internally, all mains services connected, and it is hoped to have an official opening ceremony (possibly with a celebrity) at the end of May.”
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 'Gas engineer' reportedly stole two phones and a purse in Haddenham
- 3 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 4 Inferno BBQ to be occupied by sister company Forbidden Burger Co
- 5 Village café battles Covid-19 delays to raise over £1,700
- 6 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 7 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 8 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 9 Cambridge: Police officer had surgery after sex offender drove car at them
- 10 Village toasts Queen's Platinum Jubilee with a memorable touch
A lease on the old community centre is being negotiated for a further year whilst decisions are made about a possible future.