Its up, not quite running yet, but Welney celebrates ‘arrival’ of new community hall and pavilion
- Credit: Archant
Villagers got their first glimpse of their community hall and replacement pavilion as contractors moved into the playing field at Welney.
MRC (Barroway Drove) has built the modular building and began installation last Thursday.
Funding has been made possible thanks to support from Wren, Sport England Inspired Facilities Scheme and Marshall’s charity.
Local fund raising and donations from in and around the village over the past five years has helped towards the cost.
The parish council says it “photo documenting the arrival of this major building for the village, and the actual craning in of the sectional building will be a key moment”.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman said: “Solar panels will be installed on the roof of the building towards the middle/end of April
“Once the building is on site, it will be completed internally, all mains services connected, and it is hoped to have an official opening ceremony (possibly with a celebrity) at the end of May.”
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 3 Triple judo Olympic champion to give masterclass for Ely Dojo
- 4 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 5 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 6 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 7 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 8 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 9 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 10 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
A lease on the old community centre is being negotiated for a further year whilst decisions are made about a possible future.