It’s hair today, gone tomorrow for brave Sheila
- Credit: Archant
Sheila Couzens, a cashier at the Wilko store in Ely, has raised £1,200 for Prostate Cancer UK by having her head shaved.
Sheila took her seat in the barber’s chair in the store while a stylist from Newnham Street salon, Fi Fi Beauty, carefully shaved her locks off.
Customers crowded round to watch and donated generously, adding to the total raised by sponsorship from family and friends.
Jo Walsh, store manager of Wilko in Ely, said: “As Sheila works part time, she sometimes doesn’t get the chance to attend all our fundraising events – but she was really eager to support such as good cause, so she decided she would make one big contribution instead.
“She’s chuffed to bits with the response she’s got, we put a sign up on her till saying why she had her head shaved and she gets customers congratulating her and donating. I’d like to thank her for going to such lengths to raise money for our new charity of the year – it was well worth it.”
You may also want to watch:
Mark Bishop, director of fundraising at Prostate Cancer UK, said: “Our thanks go to Sheila, and everyone at the Ely store for helping to raising funds for the charity. “
For more information on Prostate Cancer UK, please visit www.prostatecanceruk.org, follow on Twitter @ProstateUK or on Facebook www.facebook.com/prostatecanceruk
- 1 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 2 Lib Dems score notable successes in East Cambridgeshire
- 3 Dr Nik Johnson elected Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
- 4 Stagecoach suspends Milton park and ride
- 5 Littleport tops poll for the lowest turnout in council elections
- 6 Drink driver TWICE rammed off-duty officers' car
- 7 Voters 'given a clear indication that they wish for us to try and run the council'
- 8 Farm shop receives 'overwhelming' response ahead of opening
- 9 Death crash driver who fled is jailed
- 10 Man, 27, punched schoolchildren and women in unprovoked attack