It’s all about achievement
MEPAL Outdoor Centre played host to more than 200 Scouts and Explorer Scouts at the weekend for the Centenary Cambridgeshire Scouting Activities Competition. The annual event saw teams of girls and boys, aged 10 to 18, enjoy a busy weekend taking part in
MEPAL Outdoor Centre played host to more than 200 Scouts and Explorer Scouts at the weekend for the Centenary Cambridgeshire Scouting Activities Competition.
The annual event saw teams of girls and boys, aged 10 to 18, enjoy a busy weekend taking part in a range of competitive activities including archery, air-rifles, climbing, high ropes, cyclo-cross, canoeing, sailing and raft building.
Also, back by popular demand, was 'Blood and Gore 911.' This, which gives reference to the American emergency services telephone number, is a first aid exercise where the youngsters were scored on their responses to various emergency situations.
A competition saw teams of four choose seven of the 15 activities over a 24 hour period, with a short break in the middle for sleep.
You may also want to watch:
Scout activities commissioner for Cambridgeshire, Bob Burnham, said: "The weekend was a great success. The 24 hour adventure is a real challenge but it isn't just about activities for their own sake. We encourage Scouts and Explorers to try something new, feel the buzz of the achievement and then reflect on what that means."
Deputy commissioner Chris Ward said: "It was a very wet weekend but that did nothing to deter everyone's enthusiasm or enjoyment. It was a real endurance test and it was so rewarding to see such a contrast to the stereotypical image of the youth of today.
- 1 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 2 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 3 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 4 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 5 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 6 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 7 Drunk driver failed to spot police car parked next to her
- 8 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 9 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 10 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'