Isleham duo hope to raise thousands to pay for new village play park
- Credit: Archant
Isleham duo Gary Delaney and Dale Clarke have organised four fund-raising challenges to help pay for a new play park for the village.
‘Beach to the Beeches’ will see an army of volunteers take on either an 80mile bike ride, a 60mile bike ride, a marathon or a half-marathon – all to raise money for the village.
The events all begin at 10am on September 6.
The idea for the event came about after villagers realised that there wasn’t enough money available to complete a new play park for Isleham’s youngsters.
Mr Delaney said: “In June last year the local village hall and play park were taken down to make way for a new community centre and play park.
“The village was led to believe the new play park was going to be erected along with the new community centre, which was completed in November.
“Due to budget issues with the community centre, the play park was put on hold which caused a lot of controversy within the community.”
- 1 Woman, 80, dies following A141 crash
- 2 Pair trapped after A142 crash rescued from ditch
- 3 'Rubberneckers' cause second crash trying to view overturned lorry
- 4 Village farm buildings targeted in arson attack
- 5 Have you seen Harry Gibson? He's wanted by police
- 6 Chapel conversion withdrawn following stinging rebuke
- 7 Councillors left disappointed as decision made on £37m station project
- 8 Both drivers seriously injured after head on crash
- 9 Two women fighting for life after A141 crash
- 10 Ely and Cambridge for Neil Hilgrove Colledge recitals
Isleham Parish Council was subsequently given a grant to start work on the play park but it wasn’t enough to complete the facility to the standard that villagers had expected.
Mr Delaney added: “After listening and reading of people criticising and complaining about the council, Dale and I decided something needed to be done, so we organised a fund raising event to help out.
“We have massed together an army of budding volunteers to take part in not one, but four challenges designed to promote fitness within the community. Each of the challenges is aimed to test people of different levels of ability, with the aim of raising money to help complete the play park.”
The 80-mile cycle will begin in Sheringham, the 60-mile cycle starts in Hunstanton, the marathon starts in Stoke Ferry, and the half-marathon starts in Lakenheath.
The finish line for all of the events is at the Beeches Community Centre, in Isleham.
It is hoped that competitors will all finish their events at a similar time and enjoy a barbecue and family disco that is planned for the evening.