Isle Singers all smiles as they get to grips with virtual technology
- Credit: ROSEMARY WESTWELL
In 1976 a small group of enthusiastic ladies formed a choir - The Isle Singers.
Singing is their joy and they meet every week to sing.
Some 44 years later, they are still singing, whatever the circumstances.
A few years after forming, the group found themselves singing in Sutton church to represent a church choir when Sutton church did not have one.
More recently, Covid-19 restrictions meant they could not sing, so they sang a special Advent service for St. Andrew’s Church in Witchford when singing in church was permitted.
You may also want to watch:
Then Covid-19 restricted the singing further and although the average age of these determined singers is about 70 (although some of the younger members may argue about this) they were still determined to sing, whatever it takes.
Many of the group are not familiar with the daily use of mobile phones, laptops, iPhones and computers - certainly not as much as the younger generations. But they are determined.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 3 Triple judo Olympic champion to give masterclass for Ely Dojo
- 4 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 5 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 6 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 7 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 8 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 9 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 10 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
A special technology meeting was set up. One of the members, Wendy Powell, firmly supported by her family, was delegated as technology advisor and the choir is in the process of preparing songs to be used in a special video for Easter.
The video is to be made by Wendy’s grandson, Jasper. Members have mastered the use of zoom and regularly rehearse this way.
Now they will be recording their separate voices to be put together in a video of an Easter service of songs and readings.
It will also feature pictures, many of which will be provided by these eager singers.
Watch this space or Facebook and/or Youtube for an Easter Service video featuring these intrepid singers at the beginning of April.