Isle of Ely Produce opening its doors to show journey from potatoes to chips
- Credit: Archant
Isle of Ely Produce is to open its doors twice this year for a double open day.
The first free event, for chip shop owners, will be held on Monday September 7 at the company’s farm in Oak Tree Lane, Littleport.
Guests will be welcomed by south east Cambridgeshire MP Lucy Frazer and chip owners and managers will be able to see firsthand ‘the long and often arduous journey a potato makes before it reaches their shops’.
The day will also involve suppliers exchanging ideas and listening to key speakers presenting ideas from across the industry.
The afternoon will include a visit to one of the biggest potato farmers in the area, J Gilbert & Son, where acres of fertile land will be on display.
You may also want to watch:
There will also be an appearance from Mark Gilbert, who will give chip shop owners a talk.
The second free event, hosted by Isle of Ely and targeted at the farming world, will take place on Thursday October 8.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 5 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 6 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 7 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 8 Heroin dealer kept machete at home
- 9 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 10 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
The event will host their first potato seed trials open day and will be showcasing many new and different varieties of seed aimed at the chipping and crisping sector.
Organisers are inviting key potato growers to attend and there will be a number of speakers on the day, including talks from industry people and presentations from seed breeders.
Oliver Boutwood, Isle of Ely produce director, said: “The process of producing and then following on the supply chain of the potato is important and involves our farmers as much as our top chip shop owners too.
“We have developed a process called field to frier, which involves them both and these open days reflect that ethos.”
To take part in either of the free open days, contact email@example.com or phone Isle of Ely Produce on 01353 863355 for further details.