Isle of Ely Lions Club
AS the Lion s year nears its conclusion, the club has looked at the distribution of its charity account funds. Easily the cub s major contribution to local charities each year is that arising from the proceeds of the annual Two Counties Motor Show, organi
AS the Lion's year nears its conclusion, the club has looked at the distribution of its charity account funds.
Easily the cub's major contribution to local charities each year is that arising from the proceeds of the annual Two Counties Motor Show, organised jointly with the Cambridge and Newmarket cubs at the Rowley Mile Racecourse. This year the show will be on Sunday, July 1 and it was agreed that the Ely Club's main beneficiary this year would be MAGPAS.
Other donations recently agrees include £300 towards the cost of workshops to help families of brain damaged patients at the Oliver Zingwell Centre (Princess of Wales Hospital); £250 to the 3rd Ely Guides and £300 towards the costs of improvements to the adventure playground at the Downham Feoffes School.
The club would like to thank the people of the Isle of Ely for their generous contributions to our fund-raising activities, the next of which will be the Eel Trail on Saturday April 28.
You may also want to watch:
On March 8, the club held its annual election dinner at the Lamb Hotel when Caroline Cross was re-elected for a second term as president for the year 2007/2008, which is a first for the club in its 30-year history. The vice-president for the year will be Tony Pleasance of Mepal, who will be no stranger to the position as he has been president on three occasions stretching back to 1989/90.
Such an active programme needs a lot of input from individual Lions and the club is always looking for new members.
- 1 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 2 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 3 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 4 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 5 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 6 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 7 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 8 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 9 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 10 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
INFO: Anyone interested in joining or finding out more about the Lions should contact president Caroline Cross on 01353 862362.