Here’s what’s happening at Isle of Ely Arts Festival 2018
- Credit: Archant
There’s plenty to get excited about as the Isle of Ely Arts Festival kicks off in June with a month of arts and cultural events throughout East Cambridgeshire.
With a host of festival highlights running until July 7, visitors can pick up a free brochure at local shops and galleries or download a version online.
The Chapterhouse Theatre Company is bringing The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes to the Maltings, Ely on Thursday June 14; there is a picnic beforehand in Jubilee Gardens.
The Eboracum Baroque group are introducing some local children to the music of Vivaldi’s “Four Seasons” in school workshops and will be playing it as part of their evening concert in St. Mary’s Church on Thursday June 28.
Also part of the festival is an American Independence Day concert commemorating the centenary of the ending of World War One by a choir of 300 Americans in Ely Cathedral on July 4.
Clare Hammond will give a piano recital at Ely Cathedral on Saturday July 6. Inspired by the festival theme of Flora & Fauna, it includes works from Schubert, Mendelssohn and Rimsky Korsakov. Clare is also hosting a masterclass and a children’s concert the following morning.
There’s plenty on offer outside the city too, as the Isle of Ely Festival Players perform Snake in the Grass by Alan Ayckbourn in Wicken and Little Downham.
- 1 Petition launched to save village pub
- 2 Two food businesses closed after cockroach infestations found
- 3 Pub company comes out fighting to keep controversial cuppa sign
- 4 Police ‘increasingly concerned’ for woman missing since Wednesday
- 5 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 6 Murder trial jury told mother said she could not have children
- 7 College pupils bring School of Rock to life on stage
- 8 Man suffers injuries after A142 morning crash
- 9 Father accused of baby daughter's murder gave her squash, court told
- 10 Zip-shaped mark on Rikki's body came from his anorak – the one used to strangle him, court told
Haddenham Galleries are hosting a series of workshops creating ceramic flowers which will become a permanent feature in the village.
Other arts events include a Miro exhibition opening on July 7 at the Babylon Gallery, Ely Museum and Ely Maltings with pop-up art by local artists in Wicken Fen.
The Ely Youth Choir will be giving a concert in Littleport on Sunday July 1 and local musicians will be giving a folk concert in Isleham on Friday June 15.
Other Ely events include The Running Hare, a new ballet created by the Lantern Dance Company, the Sing! Choirs’ concert in the Bishop of Ely’s garden and the grand finale concert by Ely Choral Society in the Hayward Theatre on Saturday July 7.
For the full schedule go to www.isleofelyartsfestival.org.uk