Is this the end of the line for former cinema and community centre?
- Credit: Archant
Developers have applied for planning permission to demolish a former cinema and community centre in Littleport.
Buckingham and Sparrow has submitted an application to East Cambridgeshire District Council to bulldoze The Regal, in Hempfield Road, a community centre that has been in use for more than 50 years.
Earlier this year, The Vine Community Church was forced to move out of the building – which it had used for a number of years - and into shared premises with Littleport Methodist Church.
The move comes about a year after Buckingham and Sparrow offered to donate the centre and its car park to Littleport Parish Council.
The developer offered the building for the community in return for the district council waiving a requirement for it to build affordable homes on a 60-home development it was working on near the Highfields estate.
You may also want to watch:
Every developer who constructs more than three houses in East Cambridgeshire is required to turn 30 per cent of the development over to affordable housing.
But despite support from the parish council and a local campaign, the offer was refused by the district council.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 3 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 4 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 5 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 6 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 7 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 8 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 9 Stanley, 95, publishes first book to beat lockdown blues
- 10 Residents asked to share ideas on how improve cycling and walking in East Cambs town
In its submission, Buckingham and Sparrow, which has owned the property for more than 10 years, said the building was “beyond economic repair” due to structural defects and asbestos.
A decision on the plans is expected within the next eight weeks. To view the plans, under the reference 14/00131/DEM, visit ww.eastcambs.gov.uk