Is this the end of the line for former cinema and community centre?
- Credit: Archant
Developers have applied for planning permission to demolish a former cinema and community centre in Littleport.
Buckingham and Sparrow has submitted an application to East Cambridgeshire District Council to bulldoze The Regal, in Hempfield Road, a community centre that has been in use for more than 50 years.
Earlier this year, The Vine Community Church was forced to move out of the building – which it had used for a number of years - and into shared premises with Littleport Methodist Church.
The move comes about a year after Buckingham and Sparrow offered to donate the centre and its car park to Littleport Parish Council.
The developer offered the building for the community in return for the district council waiving a requirement for it to build affordable homes on a 60-home development it was working on near the Highfields estate.
You may also want to watch:
Every developer who constructs more than three houses in East Cambridgeshire is required to turn 30 per cent of the development over to affordable housing.
But despite support from the parish council and a local campaign, the offer was refused by the district council.
- 1 Stagecoach suspends Milton park and ride
- 2 Farm shop receives 'overwhelming' response ahead of opening
- 3 Ely named the UK’s most baby-friendly location
- 4 30 East Cambs candidates compete for 8 Cambridgshire County council seats
- 5 Ely man caught after nine months on the run from Suffolk prison
- 6 Burglary tip-off unearths £1.38m cannabis 'factory'
- 7 Contractors 'did not follow the brief' when it came to drain maintenance
- 8 Cineworld Ely expected to reopen in May
- 9 Slimmer launches weight loss group after losing three stone
- 10 Lunging challenge in boyfriend's memory raises thousands for charity
In its submission, Buckingham and Sparrow, which has owned the property for more than 10 years, said the building was “beyond economic repair” due to structural defects and asbestos.
A decision on the plans is expected within the next eight weeks. To view the plans, under the reference 14/00131/DEM, visit ww.eastcambs.gov.uk