Is This The Ely Standard's Most Loyal Reader?
THE Ely Standard has discovered possibly its most loyal reader – living more than 50 miles away. Widow Sylvia Jackaman was born in Ely and grew up in the city but moved to Ipswich when she married in 1955. Her mother sent her the Ely Standard for 10 years
THE Ely Standard has discovered possibly its most loyal reader - living more than 50 miles away.
Widow Sylvia Jackaman was born in Ely and grew up in the city but moved to Ipswich when she married in 1955.
Her mother sent her the Ely Standard for 10 years before she set up her own subscription.
The jet-setting grandmother, who has recently returned from a holiday in Turkey, said: "I love the Ely Standard and I have been getting it every week since 1955. I read it from front to back. I was born in Ely and went to school there and I like to keep up with what's going on.
You may also want to watch:
"My mother sent it for the first 10 years but when she got too old, I got it through everybody."
Mrs Jackaman met her husband Roland at Ely Railway Station, where he was an officer with the British Transport Police. He was posted to the Suffolk town shortly after their wedding and the couple settled there and had two children, Alison, 46, and Simon, 42, and two grandchildren. Mr Jackaman died two-and-a-half-years ago.
- 1 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 2 Pictures show cars - including Tesco delivery vans - queued at fuel pumps
- 3 Crisis, what crisis? Panic buying at the pumps in Fenland
- 4 Rings End A141 closed after three vehicle collision
- 5 Amazing escape for driver in A11 crash
- 6 Former mayor begins court battle to retain pub
- 7 Motorcyclist dies in A141 crash
- 8 Fireworks join Christmas lights on the Covid cancelled list for Ely
- 9 Van driver in ‘life threatening condition’ after crash
- 10 Sex offender caught with 76 of most serious child abuse photos
She last visited Ely in April and stayed in a hotel in the city for four days, visiting old friends and attending a service at the cathedral.
She said: "Everything has changed. I met up with some old friends but there aren't many of us left now. I really enjoyed myself. I will come again but I haven't got anything planned yet.
"I'm quite jet-setter - I have just got back from a holiday in Turkey and I am going to Belgium in September!"
INFO: If you know someone who can rival Mrs Jackman's loyalty, then let us know. Write to: the Ely Standard, 38 Market Street, Ely, Cambs, CB7 4LS or email: firstname.lastname@example.org