Investigation launched after 72-year-old Ely man dies in house fire
- Credit: Archant
An investigation has been launched after a 72-year-old man died in a house fire in Ely.
Firefighters were called to New Barnes Avenue shortly before 1am on Friday following reports that a house had caught fire.
Neighbours also expressed concern to emergency services that the homeowner, identified locally as Terry Kidman, was still inside.
A spokesperson for Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue said:
“On arrival of the first crew the police were at the scene and had smashed a window to try to gain access but were unable to get inside due to the smoke.
You may also want to watch:
“Fire crews from Littleport and Ely attended and entered the house. They discovered the body of an elderly man in the front room where the fire had started.”
An investigation by police and fire investigators is under way to determine the cause of the fire.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 5 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 6 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 7 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 8 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 9 Heroin dealer kept machete at home
- 10 Stanley, 95, publishes first book to beat lockdown blues