Investigation launched after 72-year-old Ely man dies in house fire
- Credit: Archant
An investigation has been launched after a 72-year-old man died in a house fire in Ely.
Firefighters were called to New Barnes Avenue shortly before 1am on Friday following reports that a house had caught fire.
Neighbours also expressed concern to emergency services that the homeowner, identified locally as Terry Kidman, was still inside.
A spokesperson for Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue said:
“On arrival of the first crew the police were at the scene and had smashed a window to try to gain access but were unable to get inside due to the smoke.
You may also want to watch:
“Fire crews from Littleport and Ely attended and entered the house. They discovered the body of an elderly man in the front room where the fire had started.”
An investigation by police and fire investigators is under way to determine the cause of the fire.
- 1 Stagecoach suspends Milton park and ride
- 2 Man, 27, punched schoolchildren and women in unprovoked attack
- 3 Everything you need to know about Mad Hatters eco festival
- 4 30 East Cambs candidates compete for 8 Cambridgshire County council seats
- 5 Littleport tops poll for the lowest turnout in council elections
- 6 Second World War and SAS hero remembered with new street signs
- 7 Footballer hopes Wembley 'dream' can bolster Cambridge career
- 8 Ely named the UK’s most baby-friendly location
- 9 Nostalgic throwback to places and faces of Ely's past
- 10 Elections 2021: Polling Day across Cambridgeshire