Intrepid Xander and Ted complete cycle ride for Magpas
- Credit: Archant
Xander Brown and Ted Coney were so disappointed that their fundraising cycle ride for Magpas was postponed that they decided to go ahead with their own ride.
The Ely Hereward Rotary Club had been due to host a cycle ride along the Ouse Washes on Sunday, but the event was cancelled due to uncertainty over flooding in the area.
So, Xander, six, his mum Michelle, Ted, 70, and friends Sylvia and Colin Morton successfully completed a 10-mile round trip from Ely to Littleport and back, with Ted using his 1940s bike which he rides every day around Ely.
The half-way stop was at the Littleport-Harley memorial, in Church Lane, where the Fenlanders Chapter of the Harley-Davidson Owners Group provided Xander with a surprise reception.
After a photo shoot with Xander trying out two real Harleys and the Harley Memorial, the five intrepid riders were accompanied out of the village by their very own Harley motorcade.
You may also want to watch:
As a result of this impromptu ride, Xander and Ted raised more than £400 for Magpas.
Anyone wishing to sponsor Xander or Ted can do so via http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/Xanderbrown
- 1 Littleport tops poll for the lowest turnout in council elections
- 2 Lib Dems score notable successes in East Cambridgeshire
- 3 Stagecoach suspends Milton park and ride
- 4 Everything you need to know about Mad Hatters eco festival
- 5 Election shock: Tories lose overall control of Cambridgeshire County Council
- 6 30 East Cambs candidates compete for 8 Cambridgshire County council seats
- 7 Second World War and SAS hero remembered with new street signs
- 8 Man, 27, punched schoolchildren and women in unprovoked attack
- 9 Election 2021: Counting gets under way in East Cambridgeshire
- 10 Footballer hopes Wembley 'dream' can bolster Cambridge career