Inquest opened into death of Ely man who died in house fire caused by electric blanket

Coroner's Court.

Coroner's Court. - Credit: Archant

An inquest has been opened into the death of a 72-year-old man from Ely who died in a house fire.

Terence Kidman died at his home in New Barns Avenue shortly before 1am on July 4 after a fire broke out.

A subsequent investigation carried out by Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service revealed that an electric blanket was the most likely cause of the blaze.

An inquest into Mr Kidman’s death was opened on Friday by the coroner for North and East Cambridgeshire, William Morris.

His cause of death was listed as smoke inhalation and fire. The hearing was adjourned and will be reopened in January next year.


You may also want to watch:


Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus