Innovative community land trust set for official launch
- Credit: Archant
Stretham and Wilburton’s trailblazing community land trust will welcome visitors from across the region on Thursday as part of a campaign to promote community-owned housing.
The land trust will be launching the development of 35 open-market homes, with a share of the profit from sales going to subsidise the construction of 15 new affordable homes for local people, a new GP surgery and several small business units.
There will be 35 visitors from other land trusts around the country visiting Stretham during the day to learn how they achieved their success.
Councillor Charles Roberts, deputy leader at East Cambridgeshire District Council, said: “Community land trusts are a great way of developing new homes for local people whilst giving them a strong say in their design and location.
“We believe they are a vital way of bringing much needed housing to our towns and villages as well as the infrastructure which is often missing in our more rural areas. “The beauty of land trusts is they are the product of collaboration and as we are seeing in Stretham and Swaffham Prior - each project will create lasting benefits to communities for years to come.”
You may also want to watch:
For more information on community land trusts call the district council on 01353 665555.
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 3 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 4 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 5 Residents asked to share ideas on how improve cycling and walking in East Cambs town
- 6 Stanley, 95, publishes first book to beat lockdown blues
- 7 Golf club's £8,850 donation for dementia singing charity All In Sound
- 8 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 9 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 10 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'