Inner Wheel Club keeps Cambridgeshire charity in Mind
- Credit: Archant
PRESIDENT Pauline Lancaster of the Inner Wheel Club of Ely was delighted with the fellowship and information the 40 members and guests received at the 64th Charter Dinner, held at Ely Golf Club.
Secretary Constance Heald opened the proceedings by singing Grace and treasurer Jenny Axford, acting as the toastmaster, ensured everything went according to plan.
Gillian Brady, Pauline Lancaster and Rachel Butler lit candles for the past, present and future of Ely Inner Wheel and Chris Goodge lit a candle for all the overseas clubs.
After a superb meal, Rotarian Jacqueline Whipp, president of the Ely Rotary Club, gave the toast to the Ely club and Gary Gardner, president of Ely Hereward Rotary Club, brought greetings.
The speaker for the evening was Aly Anderson, the business development officer from Mind in Cambridgeshire, which is president Pauline’s chosen charity for this year.
Aly Anderson said that one in four people need help with mental health issues sometime in their life. Mind has been funded by Comic Relief for three years to increase the awareness of mental health problems. The overall aim of the project is to provide a range of mental health promotion and campaigning activities to combat the stigma and discrimination related to mental health challenges. Mind is the largest mental health charity in the country.
Vice president Susie Sallis proposed the vote of thanks and Pauline Lancaster then presented Aly Anderson with an interim cheque for £1,000.
- 1 Prison for 'lavish lifestyle' drug dealer who hid £18k cash in sock drawer
- 2 Michaela’s horrific ordeal: ‘My partner threatened to slit my throat and bury me alive’
- 3 New shop already 'exceeded expectations' after strong opening day
- 4 Driver escapes injury after car hits wall
- 5 Councillor wants apology for Nadine Dorries 'misogynist' tweet
- 6 Village life, magistrate in court for failing to clear snow and forced landing
- 7 Nuisance caller flouted court order day after prison release
- 8 Big Christmas lights switch-on arrives
- 9 Best Indian in CAMBRIDGESHIRE even though award says best in NORFOLK
- 10 Everything you need to know about Ely Cathedral's Christmas Gift & Food Fair 2021
The next meeting is on March 27 at the Old Dispensary when the speaker will be Rosemary Wheeler on the topic of Hats Galore.