Inner Wheel Club
PRESIDENT Jenny Axford wished members a happy new year and welcomed district chairman Nancy Briggs and newcomer Rosemary Marshall to the meeting at the Old Dispensary on January 24. Jenny invited Nancy Briggs to induct Rosemary Marshall as a member of the
PRESIDENT Jenny Axford wished members a happy new year and welcomed district chairman Nancy Briggs and newcomer Rosemary Marshall to the meeting at the Old Dispensary on January 24. Jenny invited Nancy Briggs to induct Rosemary Marshall as a member of the club and she was delighted to do so as it was the first new member she had inducted on her visits around the district. Jenny Axford then conducted a business meeting at which it was reported that a Judas tree would be planted in Jubilee Gardens to replace the one that had been vandalised, and that the club were now Friends of Jubilee Gardens. Thanks were given to David and Gaynor Warne on the delightful meal and hospitality given by them, when members had enjoyed their Christmas supper at Fen House Restaurant before Christmas.
Thanks were also given to the organisers of the Christmas parcels, to Tesco for their donation towards them and from Nina Heaps, on behalf of the recipients. The Ely Rotary Club also thanked members for their assistance with the Rotary carol street collections.
On the Saturday before World Inner Wheel Day on January 10, a choir under the leadership of Constance Heald had entertained residents at Lily House. This had been so well received that the choir have been invited back for a summer performance. Jim Paice MP will be the guest speaker at the Charter Dinner at Needham's Restaurant on February 22.
The Presidents' Lunch and District Committee Meeting would be at Lynford Hall on March 21.
Nancy illustrated how the Ely Club was fulfilling the objects of Inner Wheel and how the current theme of Janet Day, the International Inner Wheel President, to "show that you care through friendship and service" and that of past association president Jean Matthews to "fly the flag for Inner Wheel" were inspirational.
Jenny Axford thanked Mrs Briggs for visiting the club and gave her mementoes of the evening. Nancy in return gave Jenny an Inner Wheel dish inscribed with all the clubs in District Eight. The raffle was won by vice-president Jackie Wade.
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 Mike Rouse, councillor, former mayor and historian, dies aged 82
- 3 Inferno BBQ to be occupied by sister company Forbidden Burger Co
- 4 'A little talent very thinly spread' Mike Rouse, in his own words
- 5 Mike Rouse: A lifetime's passion for books and literature
- 6 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
- 7 Soham tribute to 'honest, funny, intelligent and understanding human being'
- 8 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 9 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 10 Middlesbrough couple found in Cambs with drugs worth around £37,000
INFO: Membership information may be obtained from secretary Mary Robinson on 01353 610761.