Inner Wheel Club
PRESIDENT Jenny Axford welcomed members and guests to the open meeting of Ely Inner Wheel Club last Wednesday, at the Old Dispensary. The guest speaker for the evening was Andy Juden, one of the governors at Whitmoor Prison in March. He told the group tha
PRESIDENT Jenny Axford welcomed members and guests to the open meeting of Ely Inner Wheel Club last Wednesday, at the Old Dispensary. The guest speaker for the evening was Andy Juden, one of the governors at Whitmoor Prison in March. He told the group that he had been in the prison service for 14 years and now had 420 category 'A' prisoners in his care. Mr Juden answered many questions, and was thanked by vice-president Jackie Wade for his informative talk.
After the coffee break, there was a business meeting in which members were asked to register for the Bournemouth Conference in April, 2007.
Mary Robinson and Mary Spinks were thanked for organising the District Golf Tournament at Ely City Golf Club.
Ena Fernie won the runners-up and nearest the pin prizes, but the salver went to Jane Bell from the Bury St Edmunds club. Six members will be attending the district rally at Lynford Hall on October 10 and everyone has been asked to wear something pink in recognition of the association chairman's chosen charity, Breakthrough Cancer.
You may also want to watch:
A total of £111 was raised for local charities as the result of the stall at Aquafest. Members were reminded that the annual coffee morning will be on Saturday, October 7 at the Old Dispensary from 10am until noon. There will be cake, tombola and craft stalls and cards by Phoenix Trading. The raffle was won by Enid Bedford. The next meeting is on October 25 at 7.30pm, when there will be a Pampered Chef kitchen show.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 'My UK dream became a reality': World first sake brewery launches in Ely
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 Transport company donates advertising to children’s brain tumour charity
- 5 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 6 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 7 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 8 Gym’s ‘money for miles’ Children in Need fundraiser
- 9 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 10 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens