In a spin: the Marquettes’ baton twirling brilliance guides them to regional title
- Credit: Archant
A team from Ely was crowned champions after their baton twirling brilliance impressed at a regional competition.
The Marquettes, made of talents from around East Cambridgeshire and the Fens, scooped the regional prize for their superb efforts at the BBTSA Regional competition in Lowestoft on September 17.
The girls faced stiff competition from a number of talented twirlers from across the region but brushed them off to seal a handful of medals – including winning the Senior Twirl Challenge and the Senior Dance Twirl titles for the second straight year.
The youngsters also bagged the title in the Junior Dance Twirl and added a second place in the Juvenile Dance Twirl competition.
Four starlets from the team will now go on to compete in one of the biggest baton twirling events in the sport’s calendar – the Twirlfest competition in Yorkshire next month.
The team’s competition triumph follows their successful fundraising mission in which they raised enough money to replace some of their old costumes which had been used for 15 years.
Charlotte Louise Cornish, who helps run the team, couldn’t help but show her pride for the team’s efforts.
- 1 Pedestrian struck on Ely Road in Littleport
- 2 Council bans use of agricultural land to extend garden
- 3 Mexican restaurant to open inside former Frankie & Benny's in Ely
- 4 Former Baptist chapel to be turned into four-bedroom house
- 5 Councillor hits out at 'huge intransigence' over splash pad project
- 6 Village road closing for five weeks for temporary barrier installation
- 7 ‘It’s been like this for 11 months’ - woman’s assisted refuse collection failure
- 8 Shoplifter, 33, who assaulted woman is on the run
- 9 Shoplifter barred from every M&S and Sainsbury's in Cambridgeshire
- 10 Soham tribute to 'honest, funny, intelligent and understanding human being'
“I’m very, very proud of our girls,” she said.
“Our thanks to everyone who has helped by donating or helping our fundraising efforts at displays and carnivals. However, we are still seeking sponsorship or donations from around the area to help us in our quest to replace the remaining team costumes and old equipment.”
• If you are interested in baton twirling or cheerleading, which the club also offers, contact the club via Facebook by searching ‘Marquettes,’ email email@example.com or call 07554 424008.
Beginner’s classes take place on Tuesdays at Downham Market Academy from 6-8pm and competition classes take place on Sundays at Littleport Leisure between 10am and 2pm. Classes are £3.75, with the first free.