Improvement all round at Soham Village College as Ofsted inspectors praise teaching and staff
- Credit: Archant
Staff at Soham Village College are celebrating after its latest Ofsted inspection saw them leap from ‘requiring improvement’ to ‘good’ in just over a year.
An Ofsted inspection team praised the college for its improvement after visiting on December 6, even labelling various aspects of the school as ‘outstanding.’
John Randall, lead inspector, said the way in which the school promotes pupils’ development and welfare is “outstanding,” and that teaching is “good, with areas of outstanding practise” – a stark contrast from 2015 when teaching was described as “not good.”
Head of school, Jon Hampson, is “focused on rapid, long-term, sustainable improvement,” according to the report, and the college’s senior leaders and governors are “highly ambitious.”
The progress of disadvantaged pupils also came in for praise, with Mr Randall saying it has “improved significantly and is now in line with all pupils nationally.”
You may also want to watch:
In order to improve, the college must “share the very best practise more widely to improve the small amount of teaching that is less effective,” and “eradicate the low-level disruption displayed by a very small minority of pupils.”
Head of school, Jon Hampson said: “I am particularly pleased that the inspecting team recognised the contribution of our students.
- 1 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 4 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 7 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 8 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'
- 9 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 10 Lisa Leader makes it to Germany for life prolonging treatment
“They are rightly praised for their positive attitudes; the strength of their relationships with staff; their behaviour; their courtesy and their tolerance of others’ ideas and viewpoints.”
Chair of governors, Jules Hillier said: “I’m delighted that the hard work and commitment that all our staff and pupils demonstrate every day has been formally recognised.
“The school has many strengths which have been highlighted here, and I’m particularly proud that it shows that Soham Village College is a school that cares not only about the academic achievements of all its pupils but also their personal development and welfare.”