Imogen gets her wings at The Swan in Littleport
- Credit: Archant
A student’s hard work has earned her a pair of wings as a fully fledged apprentice at The Swan on the River in Littleport.
Imogen Underdown, 19, has been an apprentice with the restaurant for a year, whilst studying for an NVQ in Catering at Cambridge Regional College.
She has now been promoted to chef de partie, creating starters and desserts under the mentorship of head chef, Justin Easey.
“I’ve been given the opportunity to assist in menu development and take on responsibilities for the head chef. It’s been a terrific opportunity.”
Richard Oyarzabal, owner at The Swan on the River says: “Recent reports show that the catering industry is facing a shortage of skilled chefs with an estimated shortage of 11,000 chefs by 2020 and a 51% drop in students on chef training programmes, we thoroughly support chef training apprenticeships to develop talent for the industry in-house and provide opportunities for local young people.”
You may also want to watch:
The Swan on the River is training another local catering apprentice to follow in Imogen’s footsteps. Ben Leary, 22, is also from Littleport and started his apprenticeship in March and is also studying at Cambridge Regional College.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 3 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 4 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 5 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 6 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 7 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 8 Teen rape case prompts city market safety review
- 9 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 10 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse