Illegal Drug Handed Over To Police When They Arrived At Hostel, Court Hears
AN ILLEGAL drug was handed over to police when they arrived at a hostel in Ely, a court heard. Thomas Aldridge approached a police car, and when searched he produced a tin containing cannabis. It was seized and he was arrested, prosecutor Penny Cannon t
AN ILLEGAL drug was handed over to police when they arrived at a hostel in Ely, a court heard.
Thomas Aldridge approached a police car, and when searched he produced a tin containing cannabis.
"It was seized and he was arrested," prosecutor Penny Cannon told city magistrates on Thursday.
Police had gone to the hostel in Wheatsheaf Close around 10pm on February 10, following reports of a man causing a nuisance.
You may also want to watch:
"A man kept visiting, and was turned away on numerous occasions," said Mrs Cannon.
"As police were in the car park, Aldridge walked towards the patrol car. He was searched, and handed over a small metal tin, containing a small amount of cannabis.
- 1 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 2 Hundreds sign petition in support of pub's cup of positivi-tea
- 3 Lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named
- 4 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 5 Knife attack man jailed for 10 years over £20 'debt'
- 6 Jail for 'predator' who raped vulnerable woman in children's play park
- 7 Marathon runner passes through Cambs on route to Kathmandu
- 8 Drug dealer hid £130,000 at home
- 9 10-year-old's sponsored hair cut for Little Princess Trust
- 10 Handcuffed duo prepare to make London Marathon history
"It was seized, and he was arrested."
Aldridge, 30, of Wheatsheaf Close, Ely, had been due to appear in court on February 25, but magistrates issued a warrant for his arrest when he failed to appear.
Representing himself in court this week, Aldridge said he was not living at his home address all the time, and had "completely forgotten" about being due to court last month.
Aldridge said he was on medication that affected him; but he had handed himself in at Ely Police Station.
The court fined Aldridge a total of �100 with �85 costs and a �15 surcharge, and ordered the forfeiture and destruction of the drug.