Icing on the cake for pub
AN Ely pub has scooped a hat-trick of major industry awards, less than a year after it was re-launched. The Cutter Inn at Ely s waterfront has won three Morning Advertiser awards for its re-design – best newcomer, best tenanted and leased pub, and best i
AN Ely pub has scooped a hat-trick of major industry awards, less than a year after it was re-launched.
The Cutter Inn at Ely's waterfront has won three Morning Advertiser awards for its re-design - best newcomer, best tenanted and leased pub, and best innovation.
The awards are judged and presented by trade publication the Morning Advertiser, and Steve Haslam, who runs The Cutter with wife Jo, said he was amazed when he opened the letter informing him about the wins.
"We are blown away by it," he said.
You may also want to watch:
"We never came here to win an award and we are the only pub in the country to be nominated for all three, so to win all three has been the icing on the cake of an incredible year."
The Cutter was entered for the awards following a visit from a Morning Advertiser reporter who was impressed with the pub's conversion and the addition of a restaurant earlier this year.
- 1 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 2 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 3 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 4 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 5 Man found dead in March
- 6 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 7 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 8 Fireworks join Christmas lights on the Covid cancelled list for Ely
- 9 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 10 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
The Haslams and some of the staff at the pub will make their way to the awards ceremony in London, where they will face the winners of eight other regional heats.
"We are also up for two awards in another magazine, The Publican, and we stand a chance of being nominated for pub of the year, which would be incredible."
Mr Haslam said the key to The Cutter's success has been the restaurant, which has proved extremely popular.
"I would like to give a personal thank you to everybody who has supported us - we have had a great year here and we hope next year will be even better," he said.