Hunt’s on for lizard who has Gonzo
GONZO the giant lizard is on the run after being freed by his partner in crime, Henry the Border Collie. The four feet long black and white striped reptile made his bid for freedom when his owner left him basking in the bedroom. James Burfield tied a belt
GONZO the giant lizard is on the run after being freed by his partner in crime, Henry the Border Collie.
The four feet long black and white striped reptile made his bid for freedom when his owner left him basking in the bedroom.
James Burfield tied a belt around the bedroom door at his home in Ely's Columbine Road and headed off to work on Sunday.
But when he returned he discovered Henry had managed to open the door and let out Gonzo.
You may also want to watch:
A thorough search of the house and garden failed to find any trace of the rare Argentinian lizard and James called in the police.
He told the Ely Standard: "Gonzo is extremely rare and I'm worried that if the weather turns colder he won't survive. I've searched everywhere for him and not left any stone unturned.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 3 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 4 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 5 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 6 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 7 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 8 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 9 Teen rape case prompts city market safety review
- 10 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
"Henry has learnt how to open doors and I'm sure he let out Gonzo. The dog is very curious of him and tends to patrol around him licking him. But he wouldn't have hurt him and I'm sure Gonzo just wandered off. He's more like a dog than a lizard and very striking."
James bought Gonzo just over three years ago from a breeder and allows him free roam of the bedroom during the day returning him to a warm reptile tank overnight.
"He's harmless," added James. "If someone tried to poke him he might tail whip but he's never bitten."
Now James is hoping Gonzo will make a home run when life on the outside proves too much like hard labour.