Hungry Thief Stole Ingredients and Then Sat Down To Make Himself A Sandwich
HUNGRY thief John Delaney started to make himself a sandwich in the BP service station at Ely after stealing the items needed to make the snack. Delaney was found preparing the picnic in the hot food area of the garage – normally only open to staff -- aft
HUNGRY thief John Delaney started to make himself a sandwich in the BP service station at Ely after stealing the items needed to make the snack.
Delaney was found preparing the picnic in the hot food area of the garage - normally only open to staff -- after he stole two baguettes, some roast chicken, mayonnaise and a bottle of cola.
"He was asked what he was doing, and then left without paying for the items," Ely magistrates were told by prosecutor Laura Mardell.
Delaney, 27, of Bishopsford Road, Morden, Surrey, admitted stealing �6.49 worth of goods on March 26.
A customer had noted down the registration number of Delaney's car after he drove off, and he was identified by police looking at CCTV footage.
Mitigating, Michael Judkins said Delaney was in the Ely area after visiting his wife's mother. He had gone to the garage to use the toilet, and the theft was "a foolish and opportunistic act."
- 1 Fenland man repeatedly raped woman for 20 years
- 2 Meet the boat hire firm aiming to become perfect 'stress-free' tonic
- 3 Take a look inside £600,000 period home with 'outstanding charm'
- 4 First visit not 'a flying success' but pub deserves second chance
- 5 Sanctuary Housing criticised over empty homes in Ely
- 6 Arson arrest after Wisbech blaze
- 7 Cambridge 'knife-wielder' arrested
- 8 Woman who twice ignored 'no fly tipping' signs faces two fines
- 9 Santas learn how to put the Ho Ho Ho into Christmas
- 10 Person hit by train between Manea and Peterborough
Magistrates gave Delaney a two-year conditional discharge, and ordered him to pay �6.49 compensation and �60 costs.