Hungry Thief Stole Ingredients and Then Sat Down To Make Himself A Sandwich
HUNGRY thief John Delaney started to make himself a sandwich in the BP service station at Ely after stealing the items needed to make the snack. Delaney was found preparing the picnic in the hot food area of the garage – normally only open to staff -- aft
HUNGRY thief John Delaney started to make himself a sandwich in the BP service station at Ely after stealing the items needed to make the snack.
Delaney was found preparing the picnic in the hot food area of the garage - normally only open to staff -- after he stole two baguettes, some roast chicken, mayonnaise and a bottle of cola.
"He was asked what he was doing, and then left without paying for the items," Ely magistrates were told by prosecutor Laura Mardell.
Delaney, 27, of Bishopsford Road, Morden, Surrey, admitted stealing �6.49 worth of goods on March 26.
You may also want to watch:
A customer had noted down the registration number of Delaney's car after he drove off, and he was identified by police looking at CCTV footage.
Mitigating, Michael Judkins said Delaney was in the Ely area after visiting his wife's mother. He had gone to the garage to use the toilet, and the theft was "a foolish and opportunistic act."
- 1 Did you go to Newmarket Nights? Spot yourself in our gallery
- 2 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 3 Not breaking news: Vicar with a vision, illegal fishing, workhouses and fork theft
- 4 Sweet Caroline and a dodgy knee - review of Olly Murs at Newmarket Nights
- 5 SAS ‘original’ Reg Seekings to feature in book
- 6 Jail for 'predator' who raped vulnerable woman in children's play park
- 7 Knife attack man jailed for 10 years over £20 'debt'
- 8 Town rallies in fight for new hospital
- 9 Blush crowned best bridal shop in Cambs
- 10 ‘Distressed cries’ of beagles fuel animal research unit protest
Magistrates gave Delaney a two-year conditional discharge, and ordered him to pay �6.49 compensation and �60 costs.