Hungry Thief Stole Ingredients and Then Sat Down To Make Himself A Sandwich
HUNGRY thief John Delaney started to make himself a sandwich in the BP service station at Ely after stealing the items needed to make the snack. Delaney was found preparing the picnic in the hot food area of the garage – normally only open to staff -- aft
HUNGRY thief John Delaney started to make himself a sandwich in the BP service station at Ely after stealing the items needed to make the snack.
Delaney was found preparing the picnic in the hot food area of the garage - normally only open to staff -- after he stole two baguettes, some roast chicken, mayonnaise and a bottle of cola.
"He was asked what he was doing, and then left without paying for the items," Ely magistrates were told by prosecutor Laura Mardell.
Delaney, 27, of Bishopsford Road, Morden, Surrey, admitted stealing �6.49 worth of goods on March 26.
A customer had noted down the registration number of Delaney's car after he drove off, and he was identified by police looking at CCTV footage.
Mitigating, Michael Judkins said Delaney was in the Ely area after visiting his wife's mother. He had gone to the garage to use the toilet, and the theft was "a foolish and opportunistic act."
- 1 80 homes threaten access to ‘rural haven of rare beauty’
- 2 Dental practice plan move to business park
- 3 Trainspotters catch Duchess of Sutherland whistling through Fens
- 4 Woman wins right to build annexe to home
- 5 Family escape 'devastating fire' that ripped through home
- 6 Primary school plans for new town take step forward
- 7 Two-day operation to feature in episode four of TV series
- 8 GP surgery 'failing' us says Labour
- 9 Firm announces acquisition of independent planning firm
- 10 Big Christmas lights switch-on arrives
Magistrates gave Delaney a two-year conditional discharge, and ordered him to pay �6.49 compensation and �60 costs.