Hundreds raised for Magpas
EMERGENCY medical charity Magpas was handed a cheque for �370 this week by the Ely Porta Masons Lodge.
The Masons hold seasonal meetings at the city’s Masonic Hall, on Silver Street, with a fund-raising event held at each event to support local charities and good causes.
At the March meeting, the Porta Lodge decided to lend their support to air ambulance paramedics Magpas and, at the Ely Standard offices on Friday, a cheque for �370 was handed over.
Nigel Greenwood, of the Ely Porta Lodge, said: “Fundraising is a big of being a Mason and we felt that Magpas was an excellent cause, because you never know when you might need them yourself.”
At the start of April, the Ely Standard and sister titles the Hunts Post, Cambs Times and Wisbech Standard launched Magpas Month, urging readers to support a series of fund-raising activities throughout May.
You may also want to watch:
If you would like to get involved or tell us about what you are doing to support Magpas, contact the Ely Standard on 01353 645693.
- 1 Emergency services – including two air ambulances – rush to A10 crash
- 2 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 3 Biggest village in Cambridgeshire to get even bigger
- 4 New youth centre could be built in Littleport
- 5 Pedestrian dies crossing busy Cambridgeshire road
- 6 Burglar who was spared by judge stole from woman three days later
- 7 East Cambridgeshire is ‘home to the noisiest neighbours in the country’
- 8 Three hare coursers - with three children and three dogs in car - fined for damaging crops
- 9 Care home still 'requires improvement'
- 10 'Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into'