Hundreds raised for Magpas
EMERGENCY medical charity Magpas was handed a cheque for �370 this week by the Ely Porta Masons Lodge.
The Masons hold seasonal meetings at the city’s Masonic Hall, on Silver Street, with a fund-raising event held at each event to support local charities and good causes.
At the March meeting, the Porta Lodge decided to lend their support to air ambulance paramedics Magpas and, at the Ely Standard offices on Friday, a cheque for �370 was handed over.
Nigel Greenwood, of the Ely Porta Lodge, said: “Fundraising is a big of being a Mason and we felt that Magpas was an excellent cause, because you never know when you might need them yourself.”
At the start of April, the Ely Standard and sister titles the Hunts Post, Cambs Times and Wisbech Standard launched Magpas Month, urging readers to support a series of fund-raising activities throughout May.
You may also want to watch:
If you would like to get involved or tell us about what you are doing to support Magpas, contact the Ely Standard on 01353 645693.
- 1 Shoppers rush to help man injured after falling in High Street
- 2 ‘We are still struggling to cope’: Pet rescuers face ‘horrific situation’
- 3 Residents 'horrified' by Swastika graffiti in grounds of Ely Cathedral
- 4 Lockdown easing - 10 pubs and restaurants say welcome back
- 5 Police swoop on Chatteris housing estate following machete threat
- 6 Man remains in custody after 'firearm and threat to kill' arrest
- 7 Littleport marks Royal British Legion centenary year with moving ceremony
- 8 Woman dies after being hit by lorry
- 9 Family traumatised as their beloved Waffle shot in the face
- 10 Charity shop supervisor fraudster must pay back £2,550