Hundreds raised for Magpas
EMERGENCY medical charity Magpas was handed a cheque for �370 this week by the Ely Porta Masons Lodge.
The Masons hold seasonal meetings at the city’s Masonic Hall, on Silver Street, with a fund-raising event held at each event to support local charities and good causes.
At the March meeting, the Porta Lodge decided to lend their support to air ambulance paramedics Magpas and, at the Ely Standard offices on Friday, a cheque for �370 was handed over.
Nigel Greenwood, of the Ely Porta Lodge, said: “Fundraising is a big of being a Mason and we felt that Magpas was an excellent cause, because you never know when you might need them yourself.”
At the start of April, the Ely Standard and sister titles the Hunts Post, Cambs Times and Wisbech Standard launched Magpas Month, urging readers to support a series of fund-raising activities throughout May.
If you would like to get involved or tell us about what you are doing to support Magpas, contact the Ely Standard on 01353 645693.
- 1 Councils bins green waste collections for seven weeks
- 2 OPINION: Soham Station fiasco about to come to a conclusion, or is it?
- 3 'White van man' crashes into rail bridge
- 4 Pedestrian killed crossing road
- 5 Village life, magistrate in court for failing to clear snow and forced landing
- 6 Michaela’s horrific ordeal: ‘My partner threatened to slit my throat and bury me alive’
- 7 Auditor who fell ill on eve of farmgate report not returning to council
- 8 Prison for 'lavish lifestyle' drug dealer who hid £18k cash in sock drawer
- 9 Check before you travel ahead of major upgrade, commuters warned
- 10 1,800 enjoy free Christmas day out at Ely’s ‘hidden gem’