Huge crowds for Ely food and drink festival - culmination of a fantastic weekend of celebrations in the city
- Credit: Mike Rouse
How to get a quart into a pint pot? Not so much a question for the celebrity chefs at the two day food and drink festival in Ely but more a case of parking logistics.
The city was rammed on both days and visitors vied for any of the hundreds of spaces as they became available.
Not that queues are something new to the city – the day before thousands piled into Ely to enjoy the eel day festivities.
Brian Turner, the original TV chef, opened proceedings on Sunday and found huge crowds following his every move at his cookery demonstrations.
TV chef Rosemary Shrager was the guest on Monday and drew an equally and enthusiastic audience.
You may also want to watch:
“What an amazing weekend it’s been, with a brilliant eel day, an incredible food and drink Festival and the biggest eel food safari we’ve ever seen,” said a breathless spokesman for Visit Ely as the three days of celebrations drew to a close.
Councillor Lis Every agreed it had been a thrilling weekend.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 3 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 4 Triple judo Olympic champion to give masterclass for Ely Dojo
- 5 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 6 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 7 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 8 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 9 New-look Crusaders show fighting spirit to earn comeback triumph
- 10 Labour backs calls for extra Covid-19 safety measures in schools
“Thank you to Tracey Harding, her team and her family for putting on this marvellous three-day event,” she said.
“Many thanks also to the sponsors and stall holders and, of course, the thousands who flocked into Ely. We look forward to seeing you back next year”
Visit Ely paid tribute to the sponsors who had supoorted the food and drink festival including G’s Fresh, Labour-Tech Recruitment Ltd, Lancaster Way business park.Ely, Lovewell Blake, English Spirit Distillery, The Cutter Inn, Grand Central Restaurants, Riverside Bar & Kitchen and Whizzle Ltd.
They also thanked Ely Hereward Rotary Club and Ely Rotary Club for their support “and an extra big thank you to everyone who attended to make this the biggest and best weekend in Ely.”