How many cadets does it take to pull a Tornado at RAF Marham? This contingent from Ely decided to find out...
- Credit: Archant
Cadets enjoyed a whirlwind of a challenge when they took on tug of war with a Tornado.
A team from 1094 (Ely) Squadron took part in the tug of war with a difference when they pulled a Tornado GR4 aircraft down part of the runway at RAF Marham.
The Tornado weighing in at 13,890kg was pulled by a team of cadets and staff from the runway threshold as fast as they could and came in one minute faster than 42F Kings Lynn Squadron.
To celebrate the 60th Anniversary of the Duke of Edinburgh’s scheme they have set up the Diamond Challenge where cadets take on a once in a life time opportunity which takes them out of their comfort zone.
The 1094 (Ely) Squadron chose the Tornado pull for their DofE challenge and are fund raising to help the awards continue.
A spokesman for the squadron said: “The DofE leaves a footprint on their lives, as their Award opens doors to new jobs, cements life-long friendships, broadens interests and stretches horizons.
“Your donation will make a real difference to the thousands of young people who want to do their DofE, many facing disadvantage. To help visit https://www.justgiving.com/tornadopull.
- 1 Back garden log cabin needs permission says council
- 2 Preschool 'special in people's hearts' to close after more than 30 years
- 3 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 4 This Grade II listed Georgian home in Ely could be yours for £575,000
- 5 Replacement home not good enough says council
- 6 Daughter pays tribute to model engineer who 'tried his hand at anything'
- 7 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 8 BMX star, 11, hopes world debut can lead to Olympics dream
- 9 Large Hotel of the Year winner is proud of its history
- 10 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
If you are aged 13-18 and are interested in aviation then visit the Ely Squadron in person or online at www.1094Ely.co.uk.