House fire started after ‘cooking oil spillage’

PUBLISHED: 11:08 02 January 2015 | UPDATED: 11:10 02 January 2015

Archant

Cooking oil is believed to have caused a house fire in Fordham on New Year’s Eve.

Firefighters from Newmarket were called to Harry Palmer Close at 5.41pm, after reports that a house was ablaze.

A spokesman for Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service said: “A fire had broken out in the kitchen of a bungalow measuring 10m by 5m. Four firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used a hose reel to extinguish the fire by 6.17pm.”

An investigation revealed that the cause of the fire was accidental.

The spokesman added: “It is believed cooking oil had spilt from the cooker down the back of the appliance, entering the electrics.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ely Standard. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Most Read

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Most Read

Latest from the Ely Standard