House badly damaged in blaze

PUBLISHED: 08:20 05 November 2014 | UPDATED: 08:20 05 November 2014

Archant

Firefighters tackled a house fire in Ely which started in a dishwasher.

Crews from Littleport were called to a property in Columbine Road, shortly before 9.45am, on Tuesday.

A fire had broken out in the kitchen of a house and four firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used hose reels and jets to extinguish the fire by 10.17am.

Ventilation fans were used to clear smoke from the house.

Crews returned to their stations by 11.30am. The cause of the fire was accidental.

Clive Allen, watch commander at Littleport on-call fire station, which attended the incident, said: “A fire started in a dishwasher and had spread to surrounding kitchen amenities.

“The fast response and action of crews meant the fire was contained to the kitchen and smoke damage to the ground floor of the house.

“The family had working smoke alarms fitted which alerted them to the property, enabling them to get out, stay out, and dial 999.”

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Ely Standard

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists