Hotel Guest Tried To Steal Antique Clocks and Staff Tips
A GUEST who tried to steal two antique clocks and jar containing staff tips from a Norfolk hotel while high on drink and drugs was ordered to go on a substance abuse programme. Robert Gorham, 28, of Clay Street, Soham, admitted burglary, attempted theft,
A GUEST who tried to steal two antique clocks and jar containing staff tips from a Norfolk hotel while high on drink and drugs was ordered to go on a substance abuse programme.
Robert Gorham, 28, of Clay Street, Soham, admitted burglary, attempted theft, and criminal damage at Lynford Hall Hotel, near Thetford.
Thetford Magistrates' Court yesterday heard that the defendant, who was staying at the hotel, was caught red-handed trying to carry away one of the clocks in the reception area at 2.40am on July 6.
Susanna Chowdhury, prosecuting, said Gorham admitted to the night porter that he had tried to take the antique clocks and that he was drunk. It was later discovered that he had taken a tips jar containing £2 in change and had ripped out the cables of the CCTV camera in the hotel's reception.
You may also want to watch:
The court heard that, when interviewed, Gorham told police he had a drink and drugs problem that made his behaviour unpredictable and on that particular night had taken cocaine, drunk heavily and had an argument with his girlfriend.
Gorham, who was representing himself in court, accepted that he needed help and agreed to co-operate with the probation service. Magistrates ordered him to serve an 18-month supervision order and complete an offender substance abuse programme.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 3 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 4 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 5 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 6 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 7 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 8 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 9 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
- 10 New-look Crusaders show fighting spirit to earn comeback triumph