Hostel grill pan scare

RESIDENTS had to be evacuated from an Ely hostel after a grill pan was left unattended and set off a fire alarm. Two fire crews were called at 12.38pm on Sunday, one from Ely and one from Littleport. They arrived at 12.47pm to find that a grill pan had be

RESIDENTS had to be evacuated from an Ely hostel after a grill pan was left unattended and set off a fire alarm.

Two fire crews were called at 12.38pm on Sunday, one from Ely and one from Littleport.

They arrived at 12.47pm to find that a grill pan had been left on the stove and filled the kitchen with smoke.

It failed to catch fire and residents were evacuated swiftly to safety.


You may also want to watch:


The incident was declared under control by 1.10pm.

Ady Slack, fire station manager at Ely, said: "The grill pan had been left unattended for quite some time, but luckily the smoke alarms fitted in this building picked up on the incident before it had chance to develop into a fire.

Most Read

"This incident goes to show the importance of having a working smoke alarm fitted in all buildings."

Anyone who does not have a smoke alarm should contact their local fire station.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter