Hostel grill pan scare

PUBLISHED: 11:45 14 June 2007 | UPDATED: 12:32 04 May 2010

RESIDENTS had to be evacuated from an Ely hostel after a grill pan was left unattended and set off a fire alarm. Two fire crews were called at 12.38pm on Sunday, one from Ely and one from Littleport. They arrived at 12.47pm to find that a grill pan had be

RESIDENTS had to be evacuated from an Ely hostel after a grill pan was left unattended and set off a fire alarm.

Two fire crews were called at 12.38pm on Sunday, one from Ely and one from Littleport.

They arrived at 12.47pm to find that a grill pan had been left on the stove and filled the kitchen with smoke.

It failed to catch fire and residents were evacuated swiftly to safety.

The incident was declared under control by 1.10pm.

Ady Slack, fire station manager at Ely, said: "The grill pan had been left unattended for quite some time, but luckily the smoke alarms fitted in this building picked up on the incident before it had chance to develop into a fire.

"This incident goes to show the importance of having a working smoke alarm fitted in all buildings."

Anyone who does not have a smoke alarm should contact their local fire station.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ely Standard. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Ely Standard