Honorary titles awarded at cathedral
FOUR new honorary canons were installed at Ely Cathedral at a special service on Saturday (January 27), including two from the Fens. Appointed by the Bishop of Ely, Dr Anthony Russell, this year s honorary titles were awarded in recognition of the contrib
FOUR new honorary canons were installed at Ely Cathedral at a special service on Saturday (January 27), including two from the Fens.
Appointed by the Bishop of Ely, Dr Anthony Russell, this year's honorary titles were awarded in recognition of the contribution each priest had made to the life and work of the Church.
This year's appointments are:
- Canon Peter Baxendall, Rector of St Wendreda, March, and Rural Dean of March.
- Canon Dr John Binns, Vicar of Great St Mary's with St Michael's, Cambridge, and Rural Dean of Cambridge North
- Canon Stephen Earl, Vicar of Burwell with Reach, and Rural Dean of Fordham and Quy
- 1 Man caught red-handed after series of drug raids
- 2 Post office and village shop moves into old Baptist chapel
- 3 Baby murder trial jury told dad was angry at social services involvement
- 4 Aspiring photographer, 10, captures Ely's winter sunrise on camera
- 5 'She had her whole life ahead of her': Charity skydive in memory of fatal crash victim
- 6 Man in 50s dies after medical incident in field
- 7 Eco-home will be icing on the cake for 'Good Life' couple
- 8 Sewage upgrade to continue in village with two-way traffic lights
- 9 Baby murder trial told of midwife's concerns
- 10 'Shocking' abuse left partner 'vulnerable and afraid'
- Canon Wim Zwalf, Vicar of St Peter and Paul, Wisbech, and Rural Dean of Wisbech Lynn Marshland
"These priests are entitled to call themselves canon but do not reside in the Cathedral precincts," said a church official.
"During the service each canon was received by the Dean of Ely and given his own stall in the cathedral."
The new canons will hold their titles for life.