Honorary titles awarded at cathedral
FOUR new honorary canons were installed at Ely Cathedral at a special service on Saturday (January 27), including two from the Fens. Appointed by the Bishop of Ely, Dr Anthony Russell, this year s honorary titles were awarded in recognition of the contrib
FOUR new honorary canons were installed at Ely Cathedral at a special service on Saturday (January 27), including two from the Fens.
Appointed by the Bishop of Ely, Dr Anthony Russell, this year's honorary titles were awarded in recognition of the contribution each priest had made to the life and work of the Church.
This year's appointments are:
- Canon Peter Baxendall, Rector of St Wendreda, March, and Rural Dean of March.
You may also want to watch:
- Canon Dr John Binns, Vicar of Great St Mary's with St Michael's, Cambridge, and Rural Dean of Cambridge North
- Canon Stephen Earl, Vicar of Burwell with Reach, and Rural Dean of Fordham and Quy
- 1 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 4 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 7 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 8 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'
- 9 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 10 Lisa Leader makes it to Germany for life prolonging treatment
- Canon Wim Zwalf, Vicar of St Peter and Paul, Wisbech, and Rural Dean of Wisbech Lynn Marshland
"These priests are entitled to call themselves canon but do not reside in the Cathedral precincts," said a church official.
"During the service each canon was received by the Dean of Ely and given his own stall in the cathedral."
The new canons will hold their titles for life.