Historic East Cambs windmills will open to the public
- Credit: Archant
A GROUP of four historic East Cambridgeshire windmills will be open to the public in early May as part of National Mills Weekend.
The East Anglian Mills Society has secured agreement from the owners of Foster’s Mill, in Swaffham Prior, Great Mill, in Haddenham, Northfield Windmill, in Soham, and Wicken Smock Mill, in Wicken, to open their doors for the weekend.
National Mills Weekend is an initiative started up by the Society for The Protection of Ancient Buildings in 1984. The weekend aims to encourage people to explore the milling heritage of East Cambs by visiting wind and watermills and taking part in special events.
More than 300 mills will be open around the country, including many which do not normally have public access.
A spokesman for the East Anglian Mills Society said: “Windmills in particular are iconic buildings with their visual impact as well as social historical value tied in with rural communities.
“The grass roots development to look after their mills is what brought the mill owners of the society together and we are delighted to see something positive happening to safeguard the future of these historic yet underrated buildings in our region.”
Foster’s Mill, in Swaffham, will be open from 2-5.30pm on Sunday, May 12.
- 1 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 2 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 3 Littleport 'hit and run' on Victoria Street
- 4 Village barn struck by arsonists in 4am blaze
- 5 Florist 'busier than ever' hoping to build from lockdown success
- 6 Pedestrian struck on Ely Road in Littleport
- 7 Arsonist firebombed GP surgery after doctors refused to give him heroin
- 8 Council bans use of agricultural land to extend garden
- 9 ‘It’s been very rewarding’ - Letizia amazed by support for La Strega
- 10 Former Baptist chapel to be turned into four-bedroom house
Great Mill, in Haddenham, will be open from12-6pm on Saturday and Sunday, May 11-12.
Northfield Windmill, in Soham, will be open from 11am-5pm on Saturday and Sunday, May 11-12.
Wicken Smock Mill, in Wicken, will be open throughout Saturday and Sunday, May 11-12.