Historic East Cambs windmills will open to the public
- Credit: Archant
A GROUP of four historic East Cambridgeshire windmills will be open to the public in early May as part of National Mills Weekend.
The East Anglian Mills Society has secured agreement from the owners of Foster’s Mill, in Swaffham Prior, Great Mill, in Haddenham, Northfield Windmill, in Soham, and Wicken Smock Mill, in Wicken, to open their doors for the weekend.
National Mills Weekend is an initiative started up by the Society for The Protection of Ancient Buildings in 1984. The weekend aims to encourage people to explore the milling heritage of East Cambs by visiting wind and watermills and taking part in special events.
More than 300 mills will be open around the country, including many which do not normally have public access.
A spokesman for the East Anglian Mills Society said: “Windmills in particular are iconic buildings with their visual impact as well as social historical value tied in with rural communities.
“The grass roots development to look after their mills is what brought the mill owners of the society together and we are delighted to see something positive happening to safeguard the future of these historic yet underrated buildings in our region.”
Foster’s Mill, in Swaffham, will be open from 2-5.30pm on Sunday, May 12.
- 1 Prison for 'lavish lifestyle' drug dealer who hid £18k cash in sock drawer
- 2 Michaela’s horrific ordeal: ‘My partner threatened to slit my throat and bury me alive’
- 3 New shop already 'exceeded expectations' after strong opening day
- 4 Driver escapes injury after car hits wall
- 5 Councillor wants apology for Nadine Dorries 'misogynist' tweet
- 6 Village life, magistrate in court for failing to clear snow and forced landing
- 7 Nuisance caller flouted court order day after prison release
- 8 Big Christmas lights switch-on arrives
- 9 Best Indian in CAMBRIDGESHIRE even though award says best in NORFOLK
- 10 Everything you need to know about Ely Cathedral's Christmas Gift & Food Fair 2021
Great Mill, in Haddenham, will be open from12-6pm on Saturday and Sunday, May 11-12.
Northfield Windmill, in Soham, will be open from 11am-5pm on Saturday and Sunday, May 11-12.
Wicken Smock Mill, in Wicken, will be open throughout Saturday and Sunday, May 11-12.