Highfield Academy students enjoy supported employment work experience programme
- Credit: Archant
Students at Highfield Ely are getting a taste of their futures through a new supported employment work experience programme.
Natural Scenics in Soham, Ely’s Sue Ryder Charity Shop and care provider Vera James House offered four placements to pupils aged 15 to 16 with additional needs.
Paula Farrell, Highfield Ely’s job coach, said: “We are thankful for the encouragement and guidance our community partners and businesses have offered freely to our learners. “Gaining this work experience in the local community is vital to our learner’s onward progression and opportunity to consider their future careers”.
Simon Bainbridge, executive head at Highfield Academy, said: “We want to offer our learners a real taste of the wider world of work, to put their learning and skills to the test.
“We have created the new role here, our job coach, to help build relationships with new businesses and companies able to offer future supported work experience sessions”.
You may also want to watch:
Next term businesses include Co-op Soham, Razzmatazz Magic Shop in Ely, Harry Specter Chocolates, Ely Museum and the PE Department at Ely College.
Paula added: “We would welcome more businesses to contact us to offer more placements from September 2017 working with 22 Highfield pupils, particularly in hair, beauty and retail.”
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 3 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 4 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 5 Ely Cathedral hosts legendary jockey Frankie Dettori's only book signing
- 6 Retired murder detective, Russell, releases first book in new crime series
- 7 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 8 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 9 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 10 Residents asked to share ideas on how improve cycling and walking in East Cambs town
Call Paula Farrell on 01353 662085 or email PFarrell@highfield.cambs.sch.uk if you can offer a placement.