High Sheriff to stop off in Littleport and Ely on 70-mile charity trek
- Credit: Archant
Linda Fairbrother, the High Sheriff of Cambridgeshire, will be walking more than 70 miles in six days in a bid to raise money for both Macmillan Cancer Support and the Cambridge Community Foundation.
Linda will be making her way from Littleport through to Ely and Stretham on July 16 as part of her feat.
In addition to raising money for two good causes, Linda is keen to use the opportunity to meet local people in the county she serves.
Macmillan volunteers, officials and other local residents will join Linda to walk parts of the route. Her own friends and family will be joining her too.
Each day’s walk will be between 10 and 13 miles. In addition to the usual hiking paraphernalia, Linda will be bringing along her traditional hat complete with white ostrich feathers and ceremonial sword.
You may also want to watch:
On July 16, Linda will start her walk in Littleport, visiting a local school and the YPL Centre before making her way to Ely. Once in Ely, Linda will be joined by a band of Macmillan supporters for refreshments at the Bishop of Ely’s Garden.
Money raised for Macmillan will be used to provide medical, practical, financial and emotional support for people affected by cancer. The Cambridge Community Foundation administers the High Sheriff’s Award scheme, which supports young people making a difference in their community.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 3 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 4 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 5 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 6 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 7 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 8 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 9 Stanley, 95, publishes first book to beat lockdown blues
- 10 Residents asked to share ideas on how improve cycling and walking in East Cambs town
If you would like to offer your support please contact Linda directly by e-mailing email@example.com.
Donations can be sent to www.justgiving.com/highsheriff or sent by cheque made out to High Sheriff Awards, c/o Cambridge Community Foundation, Q1 The Quorum, Cambridge CB5 8RE.