High Sheriff to stop off in Littleport and Ely on 70-mile charity trek
- Credit: Archant
Linda Fairbrother, the High Sheriff of Cambridgeshire, will be walking more than 70 miles in six days in a bid to raise money for both Macmillan Cancer Support and the Cambridge Community Foundation.
Linda will be making her way from Littleport through to Ely and Stretham on July 16 as part of her feat.
In addition to raising money for two good causes, Linda is keen to use the opportunity to meet local people in the county she serves.
Macmillan volunteers, officials and other local residents will join Linda to walk parts of the route. Her own friends and family will be joining her too.
Each day’s walk will be between 10 and 13 miles. In addition to the usual hiking paraphernalia, Linda will be bringing along her traditional hat complete with white ostrich feathers and ceremonial sword.
On July 16, Linda will start her walk in Littleport, visiting a local school and the YPL Centre before making her way to Ely. Once in Ely, Linda will be joined by a band of Macmillan supporters for refreshments at the Bishop of Ely’s Garden.
Money raised for Macmillan will be used to provide medical, practical, financial and emotional support for people affected by cancer. The Cambridge Community Foundation administers the High Sheriff’s Award scheme, which supports young people making a difference in their community.
- 1 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 2 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 3 Shoplifter who stole from store 10 times in five weeks handed CBO
- 4 Motorcyclist caught ‘speeding over 100mph’ past police near Ely
- 5 Food delivery robots taking to streets of Cambridgeshire
- 6 Girl, 7, left heartbroken after beloved rabbits are stolen
- 7 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
- 8 'Normally unacceptable' barn demolition wins green light
- 9 Severe disruption on Great Northern and Thameslink trains to London
- 10 Princess Anne waves from Range Rover after landing in Wisbech
If you would like to offer your support please contact Linda directly by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Donations can be sent to www.justgiving.com/highsheriff or sent by cheque made out to High Sheriff Awards, c/o Cambridge Community Foundation, Q1 The Quorum, Cambridge CB5 8RE.